M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I adjust my clutch cable freeplay per spec at the perch, I tend to be on the min side (10mm) at the grip end rather than the max (20mm). I also use the 2 quarters test as well. It never fails, the clutch still practically grabs almost immediately releasing the lever from the handgrip. I don't understand it! I mean, maybe the freeplay also takes some resistance into account and maybe mine is adjusted more towards 15-20mm. Any thoughts on this??? Thanks in advance.

-RT

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The 2 quarters rule turned into the 3 quarters rule, which is still within specs for clutch adjustment. Mine feels great with 3 quarters play.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Mine's farther than that and even better! just have to make sure that if you do take it farther the clutch still fully engages while holding it in. If not you'll just burn it off.

But too me it sounds like your saying that when you go to let it out it's like the clutch disengages all at once and not easily controlled. Is this correct?;)

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
If you adjust it to where the quarters actually fall out, you have too much slack in it and it will engage too soon. It's not important exactly where it engages or disengages as long as it does, so adjust it to suit you. I've seen them with a good 1/4" between the lever and the perch and the lever was just hanging there and they worked fine. Mine still has enough tension on it to pull the lever to the perch.

Turn your adjuster out 2 or 3 full turns and see if that works better.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zoom,

Good advice man :bigthumbsup:
I agree with everything you are saying; especially about the quarters test. When I picked up my 9 from the dealer for the very first time, there was so much slack, the lever felt like it was just hanging there. I tightened it up and brought it back for the 600 mile service, and they acted like it there wasn't enough slack. 4000 miles later, I take it back and they acted like it had TOO much slack and tightened it to the point where there was virtually no slack (and this is actually the work of a very reputable honest dealer!) I like it somewhere in between and don't know the exact measurement - especially since the measurement changes from cold to warm - warm to hot - etc.:dontknow:

-RT

If you adjust it to where the quarters actually fall out, you have too much slack in it and it will engage too soon. It's not important exactly where it engages or disengages as long as it does, so adjust it to suit you. I've seen them with a good 1/4" between the lever and the perch and the lever was just hanging there and they worked fine. Mine still has enough tension on it to pull the lever to the perch.

Turn your adjuster out 2 or 3 full turns and see if that works better.

G

·
Zoom,

Good advice man :bigthumbsup:
I agree with everything you are saying; especially about the quarters test. When I picked up my 9 from the dealer for the very first time, there was so much slack, the lever felt like it was just hanging there. I tightened it up and brought it back for the 600 mile service, and they acted like it there wasn't enough slack. 4000 miles later, I take it back and they acted like it had TOO much slack and tightened it to the point where there was virtually no slack (and this is actually the work of a very reputable honest dealer!) I like it somewhere in between and don't know the exact measurement - especially since the measurement changes from cold to warm - warm to hot - etc.:dontknow:

-RT
I've noticed that many dealers have a little too much "slack" between their ears.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts