M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Dealbreak: I have a Hydraulic Clutch by Rainey. He's my issue, today I was going to a bike blessing. Everything was go find, stop for some gas. Then, all of the sudden. I put it in gear, but the bike would respond. The clutch would let you shift, but the bike would barely move. I could go through all the gears, but the bike would barely move. After a while the bike wouldn't move at all. Can somebody tell me what they might think the problem is, Trans or clutch assembly?

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is Dealbreak: I have a Hydraulic Clutch by Rainey. He's my issue, today I was going to a bike blessing. Everything was go find, stop for some gas. Then, all of the sudden. I put it in gear, but the bike would respond. The clutch would let you shift, but the bike would barely move. I could go through all the gears, but the bike would barely move. After a while the bike wouldn't move at all. Can somebody tell me what they might think the problem is, Trans or clutch assembly?
Did you recently add fluid to the reservoir ? Try flushing the fluid , the return hole in the master cylinder may be clogged too. Clutch plates don't just suddenly lose all friction. Next is the ring nut in the clutch basket.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
It's likely something internal. There have been issues with these clutches for sure. Thought they fixed them with the 2010/2011 and up models though. My 06, never had much trouble with it, now headed for 37,000 miles. Once in a while, not often, I get a little shudder. Nothing to write home about. Suzuki mechanic who test rode the bike after they did the 10 inch rear rim, called it grabby. Told him he needed to warm it up a few minutes before riding. I've never ha d the problem if I do that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you recently add fluid to the reservoir ? Try flushing the fluid , the return hole in the master cylinder may be clogged too. Clutch plates don't just suddenly lose all friction. Next is the ring nut in the clutch basket.

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
So when you let the clutch out the bike will actually move, just not very well? Is the engine revving up but the bike isn't going any faster?
I'm not sure if it's a clutch problem or a bike problem. Let us know exactly how it is reacting when you let the clutch out, whether it is slipping or not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So when you let the clutch out the bike will actually move, just not very well? Is the engine revving up but the bike isn't going any faster?
I'm not sure if it's a clutch problem or a bike problem. Let us know exactly how it is reacting when you let the clutch out, whether it is slipping or not.
The can be in great AWI gear indicater, the doesn't move, unless you are pushing it or it does not shut off in gear. The bike keeps on running even if you crank up the RPM. NO FORWARD motion.

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
I don't know what would cause that. If the hub nut comes loose the bike will move in gear but the clutch won't release, so it's not that. And if the hydraulic clutch went out then the bike would jump as soon as you put it in gear. The clutch pulls the plates apart so the bike can shift, but springs push them back together.

I would pull the left engine side cover off, pull the clutch lever, and see if the lever on the side of the engine is moving. The Rainey slave cylinder rod should be hooked to it. And normally it hangs almost straight down,, and moves forward when the clutch lever is pulled.

Did it just start doing this, or did it do it while you were pulling in to get gas? Did it make any noises just before you pulled in? And when you put it in gear and let the clutch out, are there any odd noises? I'm sure you know what the clutch rattle noise on these are, does the clutch make less noise when you pull the lever?

You might try jacking it up, put it in gear, and turn the rear wheel by hand and see what sounds if any it makes. Do this with the bike not running, of course.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know what would cause that. If the hub nut comes loose the bike will move in gear but the clutch won't release, so it's not that. And if the hydraulic clutch went out then the bike would jump as soon as you put it in gear. The clutch pulls the plates apart so the bike can shift, but springs push them back together.

I would pull the left engine side cover off, pull the clutch lever, and see if the lever on the side of the engine is moving. The Rainey slave cylinder rod should be hooked to it. And normally it hangs almost straight down,, and moves forward when the clutch lever is pulled.

Did it just start doing this, or did it do it while you were pulling in to get gas? Did it make any noises just before you pulled in? And when you put it in gear and let the clutch out, are there any odd noises? I'm sure you know what the clutch rattle noise on these are, does the clutch make less noise when you pull the lever?

You might try jacking it up, put it in gear, and turn the rear wheel by hand and see what sounds if any it makes. Do this with the bike not running, of course.
No to all your questions, but what strange to me is that you can put in gear and feel it go in, but the bike will not move. Let the clutch lever out while still in gear and the bike running nothing happen. It what even cut off while in gear and running or cranking up the RPM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts