M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this may be a dumb question but how do you stop the clutch handle from rattling? I have adjusted the cable, by tightening the play in it but it is a temporary fix. What is happening is the handle is moving up and down and rattling against itself, not in and out as if the clutch was needing adjustment, but there is nothing on the handle to tighten to get the play out of it vertically. Any Ideas? HELP? I did a search and found nothing in this same arena, if i missed somthing sorry!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My clutch handle does the exact same thing, my bike is 3 months old and I only have about 1200 miles on it. I am thinking of putting some neatly trimmed brass or s.s. shim-stock in between the top and bottom of the handle and the mating housing. You can buy brass or stainless steel shim-stock in almost any thickness (.001" to .062") and most hardware or tool supply stores and you'll need some tin snips.

Hope this helps but not sure what anyone else might suggest. :)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Mine also rattels in the same manner, I addressed this with my dealer service manager and was told that this is an inherent problem with the Suzuki boulevard line. He also stated that tightening the clutch cable as you did and as i suggested be done would put to much tension on the clutch and i would prematurely wear out my clutch plates (Is this true?) I know this is of no help to you to solve the issue but i guess i just wanted to chime in so that you knew there where others out there with the same problem :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Latinrascal said:
Mine also rattels in the same manner, I addressed this with my dealer service manager and was told that this is an inherent problem with the Suzuki boulevard line. He also stated that tightening the clutch cable as you did and as i suggested be done would put to much tension on the clutch and i would prematurely wear out my clutch plates (Is this true?) I know this is of no help to you to solve the issue but i guess i just wanted to chime in so that you knew there where others out there with the same problem :(
I was worried about the same thing, so I only tightened it slightly, and only at the bar not the lower end. ::)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZAcornn said:
My clutch handle does the exact same thing, my bike is 3 months old and I only have about 1200 miles on it. I am thinking of putting some neatly trimmed brass or s.s. shim-stock in between the top and bottom of the handle and the mating housing. You can buy brass or stainless steel shim-stock in almost any thickness (.001" to .062") and most hardware or tool supply stores and you'll need some tin snips.

Hope this helps but not sure what anyone else might suggest. :)
:D thanks, I may try that, I was about to get a pair of vise grips and go at it,,, but then woke up... :joke: by the way where can you get the shims at?

·
Registered
32 Posts
My clutch HANDLE doesn't rattle. But when I release the clutch in neutral while idling the actual clutch itself rattles and sounds terrible. The dealer said that thier other bikes make the same noise and is normal but sounds a little like a rod knocking. Bad enough for me to shut it off before releasing the clutch when I pull up somewhere. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bens, you should be able to find shim-stock at any place that sells tools and fasteners, industrial supply stores, or even Home Depot should have some. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
DHS-IEA said:
My clutch HANDLE doesn't rattle. But when I release the clutch in neutral while idling the actual clutch itself rattles and sounds terrible. The dealer said that thier other bikes make the same noise and is normal but sounds a little like a rod knocking. Bad enough for me to shut it off before releasing the clutch when I pull up somewhere.  Anyone else have this problem?
Mine sounds the same way and i have also heard a few others with the same rattle. I do believe this is a normal sound

1 - 8 of 8 Posts