M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

First let me say that I appreciate all the comments, suggestions, pictures, etc.. that everyone has put here… Great job!!!

I’ve got a question that I’d like to ask… It’s about my clutch…

Sometimes, when I start moving from a stand still, in first gear, my clutch seems to grab and make a loud screeching sound (like a cat would make when it’s trying to sleep on the engine of your car and you go to start it).

Also, when I am down shifting (again its only sometimes, not always), my clutch tends to really grab and kind-of makes the tire hop a bit… And on the next down shift, no problems.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them or not. I’m going to be bringing it up to my dealer the next time I’m in there.

Thanks in advance for the comments.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Screetching is not normal. There were I think 2 refferences to some nut or something coming loose in the clutch basket. Perhaps it is related to that but in general the clutches have been bulletproof.

The chirping when downshifting is probably due the massive compresion/engine breaking you get with this motor.

Sledzep

·
Registered
696 Posts
as most of you know... my bike is in the shop for poor running.. see "up poops the gremlin thread"... during this current condition, since my motor does not want to give full power, my clutch is chattering on standing starts .. should/hope that this goes away when they get it sorted out...mjm

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I agree with Sled. Dont forget with all that comression & large pistons, the speed & RPM you downshift at is paramont. Try downshifting at a lower speed & hence a lower RPM. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had the wheel hops while downshifting. I posted something last week. Have since changed by driving habits since this is my first twin. came from a v-4 magna.

Jamie

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I actually enjoy the hard downshifts. A little chatter, a little movement to one side while the engine roars.... then another downshift.... I look mean slowing down hard coming up to a light. I am still working on the launch away from the light to go with it. With the extra weight I carry I will not win alot of races but I love using all of that torque

Sledzep01

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll bring up some concerns to the dealer when I'm in there next.

As far as watching where/when I downshift, I'll keep a closer look on my speed. The last time I had a bike was in '95 and that was actually a '90 GSXR1100, so maybe my last experience of downshifting on that bike vs. this one is quite a big difference.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts