M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is It Just Me , or Is There Something Wrong With The DESIGN of the Clutch Cable on the 109 ????? I've had My 2007 109 for a little Over a Year & This is the Second Time I've had to Replace it !! Both Times it broke , Right Up On the Clutch Lever !! Has Anyone Else Run Into This , or Are the Gods Angry With me ???:dontknow: Can You Fill me in ?? :bigthumbsup: G~Pa109R

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
there are some common reasons our bike has trouble with clutch cables ,
first in my opinion is the adustment ,most are set too tight
the other is the factory Routing , when you replace it Re-route to the out side of the motor mount
hope this helps next time

G

·
Sorry Hink, that thread comes up "no matches". Guess it's gone.

Lack of lubrication is part of the problem too. Lubing the ends so that they pivot without bending the cable wire is a neccessity. Pressure lubing the cable itself reduses drag and effort.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
It's funny you should mention it, because mine broke this morning on the way to work. The funniest part was when I was limping it back to the house, and I had to do a few laps around the parking lot of the Village Inn while I was waiting for the light to turn green. It broke off right at the lever, just like G~Pa109R said. Good times!!:bigthumbsup:

-Josh

·
Registered
492 Posts
I remember when I first joined this site, back in 07, there were a number of broken cables reported, stock and Barnett, not many lately. My 9 is and '07 as well, I replaced mine with a Barnett 2" over stainless with teflon coated cable, the ferrels on each end have a little ball pivot attached to the cable, that sits inside the ferrel, and has been bullet proof for me, and I carry the stock cable in the bag as a spare. To quote an old movie..... GREASE is the word !!......Every year, I remove the ends, wipe, and liberally grease with wheel bearing grease, this also gives me a chance to inspect = gain confidence, for the new year. It's a bit of a pain on the engine end, I like to pull the support bracket bolt, to give me more room to flex the cable. So stock or not, grease that sucka ! Use a Q tip to shove grease up into the lever slot. IMHO the Barnetts make for an easier pull.........RRH........:doorag:

ps: :agree: re-route it as well, behind the radiator, and outside the motor mount, and keep that 1/2" travel at the lever tip.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Sorry Hink, that thread comes up "no matches". Guess it's gone.

Lack of lubrication is part of the problem too. Lubing the ends so that they pivot without bending the cable wire is a neccessity. Pressure lubing the cable itself reduses drag and effort.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Lack of lubrication is part of the problem too. Lubing the ends so that they pivot without bending the cable wire is a necessity. Pressure lubing the cable itself reduces drag and effort.
"That's what she said.":eek::D:joke:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts