M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. Ive been reading alot of the threads about the clutches on these bikes and clutch cables breaking, i just purchased my first m109r, ive had every bike you can think of from big dog k-9s to custom gsxr1000s pushing 175hps. I like the m109r so far, not a fan of the drive shaft ride, but ive noticed on this bike while riding, the .4-.6" slack in the clutch lever is taken out as you get over 3k RPMS and up. the more RPMS the more tension is put on the clutch cable itself. I am going to add more slack to the cable, but is this common with these bikes, i know this its probably the main culprit of clutch cables snapping if so. just wanted to see if anyone notices this while riding...check it next time you ride and let me know if the more RPMS takes away your clutch cable slack. the stealer said it might be a bad motor mount.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
No fix

I've rerouted my cable completely outside the frame (and changed to a Barnetts cable, 2 different ones), and it still does it! They all do as far as I can tell. It's the first bike I've had that does this, and I've been riding 50 years!
I have no explaination, it's something in the design, but has nothing to do with the clutch cable routing as some have suggested.
Just leave it slack, just enough release to shift into first without jumping forward. If you don't the cable will soon stretch anyway. Keeping it too tight will result in a broken cable eventually.
BTW, adding a larger diameter handgrip just makes it worse. Less room to release. I actually have a smaller diameter grip now.
Keeping both ends of the cable greased with marine axle grease will help cable life too.
Just my experience, others may not agree.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine does the same, the dealer said it's because of the type of clutch it has and would be fine, but i figure this was just to get rid of me! I've done 6000 kms with no issue though. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
i had a discussion earlier this year wit the North American Suzuki rep, that was passing through the local dealers. He said ti was actually designed to do this due to the torque of the engine. if the cable is tight when accelerating, it will actually cause the clutch to slip. He told me it was completely normal, so i haven't messed with it at all. 25000 miles and counting so far.

Mine is lose enough to put two quarters in at the clutch handle when its just sitting there. Under full acceleration, it is taught.

cheers....

G

·
I've rerouted my cable completely outside the frame (and changed to a Barnetts cable, 2 different ones), and it still does it! They all do as far as I can tell. It's the first bike I've had that does this, and I've been riding 50 years!
I have no explaination, it's something in the design, but has nothing to do with the clutch cable routing as some have suggested.
Just leave it slack, just enough release to shift into first without jumping forward. If you don't the cable will soon stretch anyway. Keeping it too tight will result in a broken cable eventually.
BTW, adding a larger diameter handgrip just makes it worse. Less room to release. I actually have a smaller diameter grip now.
Keeping both ends of the cable greased with marine axle grease will help cable life too.
Just my experience, others may not agree.
+1...Mine's done that since day one, and I rerouted the cable with probably not more than 2K on the odo. 15K miles (and one clutch cable) later, it's still doing it. Don't know if that's what snapping the cables, but that's why I keep a spare under the seat...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am at 3 quarters lever gap and do not have any tension in the cable. I have adjusted this lever gap already two times as bike was completely new. I have now close to 4000km and still learning the unusual behaviour of this machine. One day I feel she runs perfectly smooth with good rev and torque. Next day it looks like more of an engine labour then performance and so on.
Do not have any issue with clutch or cable so far. I hope will not have.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
mine never did that with the stock cable, but after I replaced the stocker with a 3" Barnett it does it all the time now. Doesn't seem to be a big deal so far so I guess It's ok! :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Going on 30K with the original cable. Early on I adjusted the cable to the two quarter slack and never had a problem in all the miles I've ridden.

P.S. I have a 3" Barnett cable waiting in the garage.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You know, I just noticed the same cable slack at the lever today. I have about a half inch or more on the lever when idling at a light in neutral and goes tight when I accelerate.

Should I give it more slack till I get the two quarters gap while accelerating?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
You know, I just noticed the same cable slack at the lever today. I have about a half inch or more on the lever when idling at a light in neutral and goes tight when I accelerate.

Should I give it more slack till I get the two quarters gap while accelerating?
Hey Triple ray

The 2 quarter gap is at idle or with the engine off. Not acceleration.

This is for when you do accelerate, the cable does not become so tight that is causes clutch slip.

cheers...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey Triple ray

The 2 quarter gap is at idle or with the engine off. Not acceleration.

This is for when you do accelerate, the cable does not become so tight that is causes clutch slip.

cheers...
Thanks rcj,

I will pay closer attention to the adjustment tomorrow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ive got 8k on my stock cable and have noticed this same thing goin on with mine for quite some time . I dont know exactly whats goin on but I leave plenty of slack in my lever .

·
Registered
214 Posts
guys,

I just broke my clutch cable.

8100 miles and about 3 to 4 months old on the bike and it gave it up today.

I hobeled about 40 blocks to the dealer with no clutch, not exactly easy.

There must be some way to adjust that cable properly.

I have a second cable on order to carry as a spare.

:doorag:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts