M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just something to look out for.

I have 4100 miles on my 109 and the clutch cable snapped right where the cable connects to the tab which holds the clutch cable in the clutch lever. Needless to say, I was on the poker run at Bikefest here in Vegas.

3 hours later when I get towed to the dealer, progressive insurance has tow coverage, the Service Manager looks at the cable and says, "Damn I never saw that before..." He does not have a cable in stock and the dealer will have to order a replacement.

So a $.50 part stopped my bike run and ruined my day.

Bad promo for Suzuki too! I broke down early in the run and every bike going to the second point saw me broke down on the road. Of'course I am wearing the leather M109 jacket Suzuki sent us. One guy said, "you should have bought a Harley." Since he was nice enough to stop and ask if I needed assistance I let it go.

I do not even know how you would check this before a ride, but keep an eye out for it.

-Michael

·
Registered
142 Posts
I remember back when I rode a dirt bike (back in the 1970's) that there was a device that went into the slot in the clutch lever and you slid the broken end of the cable through the hole in the device and then used a screw driver to tighten a small screw down against the cable. That held the cable to the lever and gave you a chance to get back in from the outback and order a replacement.

I'm not sure what it was called but I always carried a couple just in case. I've had to use them before. Don't know if they make them anymore or where you'd get them. I guess I'm not much help here.

mania

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
sorry to hear about the busted poker run. thats more like a 29.99 part if you get the oem. :yikes:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Had a 1975 Beemer in the past. Most reliable bike on the planet -- rode it coast-to-coast, and all that stuff. ALWAYS carried a spare clutch cable in the saddle bag. Cheapest insurance policy against this kind of crisis. I think I'll be investing in one for the 109 too -- thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
62 Posts
At 3000 miles my clutch cable broke as well. The dealer came out and fixed it. They had never seen this happen before; they said it was probably a manufacturing defect. I am sorry to hear it broke on you, but I am glad to see I am not the only one...i wonder how many others have broken.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am absolutely certain that the problem with the broken clutch cables is due to never putting the bike in neutral and always holding the clutch lever in. It puts a tremendous strain on the cable to always be engaged. I always (most of the time anyway) put the bike in neutral at red lights. It extends the life of the clutch cable.

mania

·
Registered
133 Posts
109 mania said:
I am absolutely certain that the problem with the broken clutch cables is due to never putting the bike in neutral and always holding the clutch lever in. It puts a tremendous strain on the cable to always be engaged.  I always (most of the time anyway) put the bike in neutral at red lights. It extends the life of the clutch cable.

mania
Bull Sheet !!!!!!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree with Nester. Not only should ANY clutch cable be able to withstand the force of holding the clutch in until the cows come home (& this does not result in "wear" -- just tension) -- BUT sitting at a light with the bike in neutral is known to be DANGEROUS.

Imagine that you're sitting at that light (in neutral) and you either hear the sound of screeching tires coming up behind you, OR you look in your mirrors and see some mindless cager bearing down on you from behind -- jabbering on his cell phone, and paying no damn attention to anything.

If you're in 1st gear, you can take evasive action. If you're in NEUTRAL -- you're a sitting duck. BAD idea.

·
Registered
600 Posts
tomph1 said:
I agree with Nester. Not only should ANY clutch cable be able to withstand the force of holding the clutch in until the cows come home (& this does not result in "wear" -- just tension) -- BUT sitting at a light with the bike in neutral is known to be DANGEROUS.

Imagine that you're sitting at that light (in neutral) and you either hear the sound of screeching tires coming up behind you, OR you look in your mirrors and see some mindless cager bearing down on you from behind -- jabbering on his cell phone, and paying no damn attention to anything.

If you're in 1st gear, you can take evasive action. If you're in NEUTRAL -- you're a sitting duck. BAD idea.
A big +1 :duck:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just have to add my 2 cents worth on this one as well since I knew a guy that was killed about 2 months ago by sitting in neutral at a red light and a cager ran into the back of him. His wife was riding with him and survived, but he didn't make it to the hospital.

Bottom line...don't be afraid to leave it in gear and hold in that clutch!

·
Registered
8 Posts
4000 mi on the black 109r, sitting in front of my favorite diner. i start the engine, the heads naturally turn. I adjust the boulevard leather jacket, which has a slimming effect. ready to clutch and go...and SNAP!! I try to look like i know what i am doing as i am calling for the tow. the baby has been at the dealer for about a week waiting for the backordered cable. guess i should go without the clutch, like a real man would.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
clutch cable repair can be done. The piece on the end is called a barrel. Only a TEMP FIX the little things are cable stops. They are available at most hardware stores and come in lots of sizes. Again this is ONLY a TEMP FIX to get you back. They do work very well i have used them before. Hope this helps :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mine went at Myrtle Beach bike week, but thanks to Suzuki and Lamonster, I was up and running quickly. Suzuki took one off a display bike and gave it to me. Lamonster put it on...thank god....I had no idea how to do it. Just from watching him it isnt that hard to replace.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts