M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pictures (or advice) of where to run the clutch cable so it isn't stretched and eventually breaks? I've found some old treads on the forum but unfortunately none of the pictures are available. I'd like to tackle this job before its too late!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,524 Posts
Few yrs. ago I copied this picture, but it is not making much sense to me now, anyway here it is:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Basically the cable is routed behind the front engine mount roughly at the location of the picture, the modification is to reroute it to the outside of the frame and mount.
I have mine like this with 2" pullback handlebar mounts and standard cable with no issues

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
LOL, that's my old picture from years ago, glad it's still hanging around. :p

From the factory the cable is routed between the two nuts you can see in the picture. This puts the cable between the motor mount and the engine, so when the engine rocks forward under acceleration it presses against the cable. When you move outside the motor mount it eliminates that situation. You can't just pick it up and move it over, you need to pull the lower end out and move it outside the mount. In the picture it looks like you could just reach in and move it over.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,524 Posts
LOL, that's my old picture from years ago, glad it's still hanging around. :p

From the factory the cable is routed between the two nuts you can see in the picture. This puts the cable between the motor mount and the engine, so when the engine rocks forward under acceleration it presses against the cable. When you move outside the motor mount it eliminates that situation. You can't just pick it up and move it over, you need to pull the lower end out and move it outside the mount. In the picture it looks like you could just reach in and move it over.
Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question comes to mind... Do I have to remove any of the "plastics" to fish the cable through the new route? If I can get away with not removing anything I'll do it!

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Another question comes to mind... Do I have to remove any of the "plastics" to fish the cable through the new route? If I can get away with not removing anything I'll do it!
I used fishing line, tied to the end up by the lever. Pulled the old one out, tied on the new. Pulled the cable back up till the motor mounts, cut the line off because it will still be routed between the mounts. Take the fishing line out between the engine mount and retie the line to the cable and then finish pulling fishing the line up to the lever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts