M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had two clutch cables brake. I got 50,000 so that means 25,000 on each cable. Not good numbers. I’m not going to buy another one to have the same thing happen again and Suzuki not back them up.
Their problem is they don’t clean off the friction plastic off the cable before they stick it in to the barrel.
I start by drilling through the barrel out the other side. I take a little bigger drill to drill the back side of the barrel so I have room the to flair out the cable and solder. I start to get the solder to flow and the barrel melts off the cable. I guess it was silver solder mold.
I start looking around the farm to find something that’s the same size. Found a chain lock link that’s the same size to make the barrel. I drill it out to get it ready to solder. I clean off the friction plastic and stick it through out the other side of the barrel and flair out the cable so I can solder it. It solder real good. I install it and started working the clutch and could see the solder was braking down. I take it back off and clean it up. And started to think what would be stronger then solder. Looked around and found a hard temper small screw and screwed it in as hard as I could. I grind it down flush to fit into the clutch arm. 300 miles later, still feels good.

Before I fix the other cable I’ll see what Suzuki will do now that I know what they are doing wrong. If they don’t back it up I’ll take it home and fix it myself. Then put it back on the 08. I find it hard to throw away and clutch cable that looks like new.

Dave @ NES

G

·
Do what you like, but jury-rigging a busted cable back together is a lot of work for a $35-$40 part. And if you got 25K miles from each then you did well. My first one snapped at about 15K or so.

Clutch cables won't last forever, especially if you ride in traffic a lot...it's essentially a consumable part. Doesn't much matter who's making them. Lotsa guys didn't do any better with the Barnett ones.

As for Zuk standing by them...they don't stand by much else. Why would they start with clutch cables?

just my $0.02:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
She's reel fine you never sees to amaze me try keeping that cable lubed and rigging a clutch is just stupid.I hope you don't think others will take your advice.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,091 Posts
Their problem is they don't clean off the friction plastic off the cable before they stick it in to the barrel.
Kudos to you on trying to find a better solution, but I don't understand the part about cleaning off the friction plastic. That's on there to allow the barrel to rotate freely in the lever. Barnett in their third generation cable finally started putting it on theirs. Old bikes use to have a copper or brass sleeve around the steel barrel.

Grease works just as well, but the plastic sleeve doesn't require lubing.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kudos to you on trying to find a better solution, but I don't understand the part about cleaning off the friction plastic. That's on there to allow the barrel to rotate freely in the lever. Barnett in their third generation cable finally started putting it on theirs. Old bikes use to have a copper or brass sleeve around the steel barrel.

Grease works just as well, but the plastic sleeve doesn't require lubing.
Zoom, its not the barrel friction on the barrel, its on the cable its self. They stick it in the mold with out cleaning it off and it slides out because of the friction plastic in the cable its self.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do what you like, but jury-rigging a busted cable back together is a lot of work for a $35-$40 part. And if you got 25K miles from each then you did well. My first one snapped at about 15K or so.

Clutch cables won't last forever, especially if you ride in traffic a lot...it's essentially a consumable part. Doesn't much matter who's making them. Lotsa guys didn't do any better with the Barnett ones.

As for Zuk standing by them...they don't stand by much else. Why would they start with clutch cables?

just my $0.02:bigthumbsup:
I've fabbed all my life so when it comes to jury rigging its NOT. Its stronger then before. The cables are not broke. Its a floss in the clutch cable.

I don't thing they will stand by it either. If it wasn't for the floss it would last a lot longer. I don't think any one on here has stated that the cable had broke. Its always about it coming out of the barrel. Its not going to slide out of the barrel now. All I see happening it maybe the cable braking itself.

G

·
I've fabbed all my life so when it comes to jury rigging its NOT. Its stronger then before. The cables are not broke. Its a floss in the clutch cable.

I don't thing they will stand by it either. If it wasn't for the floss it would last a lot longer. I don't think any one on here has stated that the cable had broke. Its always about it coming out of the barrel. Its not going to slide out of the barrel now. All I see happening it maybe the cable braking itself.
Don't know about anyone else, but mine flat-out snapped at the engine end. Barrel was right where it should be and the break in the cable was about 1/2 inch south of the barrel.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
200 miles yesterday and still going strong and 200 miles the weekend before. I'm good to go. I bet it last longer then before.

I should of said. Kids don't try this at home. :joke:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:joke: :pop:

·
Registered
148 Posts
When my cable pulled out of the barrel i took some measurements of the barrel & turned one out on the lathe, (from cold rolled steel)tapped it all the way thru the lond side. Cant remember exactly what size it was maybe 6-32 or 8-32 threads...then slid the cable thru the short side then put red locktite on the set screws & put them in clamping each side of the cable...thats been holding for the last 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
cable

she's real fine keep thinking out side d box what u did seems way better than spending 30 or 40 dollars every time 1broke.i hope it holds up good luck

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess some are brain washed into thinking it shouldn't last longer then 25 to 30,000 miles. Not I.

It should last. Bikes I had in the past never broke a clutch cable.

Thats a good one Leachman. Wish i had the tools to do that. All i can do is do what I can with what I got. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
That's cool. Good luck.
Might I suggest that you ride with a spare?

·
Registered
61 Posts
OEM cable parts number

Hi al anybody know the parts number for the clutch cable. I cant seem to find the part on the OEM online parts catalog.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts