M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so im not my way home last night and my dam clutch cable broke on me... pulled the clutch shifted and lever did not return to the position in which it began the trip.. so here i am needing to put a clutch cable on it. it had a barnett on it and i have read good and bad things about it and herd that the suzuki one is real hard to pull vs the barnett, but the only 109 that i have ridden has been my own and with the barnett on it.

DLP has them listed on there site for $66 shipped not sure what the local zuk shop wants for one, a mint i would bet. so i guess that i am asking the masses what they perfer of those of you who have experience with these things.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6911&str=290

thanks a bunch again fellas.

and oh i made the 30 mile ride home ok little stressful i had to run 2 lights and 4 stop signs.:eek:

DLP customer reveiws:

Barnett M109R Clutch Cable,Stainless Steel,Standard Length- FREE SHIPPING

Average Rating: Based on 9 reviews

Dissapointed, 7/16/2008
Reviewed by: Gez from Australia

This cable although it has the looks over the oem certainly is not reliable.Mine pulled through the nipple at the lever end within 3 months.Luckily i was near a garage who soldered a new nipple on for me.I still dont trust it so i went to a local cable manufacturer and had a stainless one made up. Many of my fellow 109 friends have had a similar failure with this cable.

As i live in Australia, its just not worth the hassle to ship it back. No way will i or my friends buy another one.

This Cable Rocks, 4/3/2008
Reviewed by: RAT Attack Rodger Tolliver from Monroe, Ohio

At first I thought these little cables were a little too $$$, but the look alone is worth the money. Not to mention it is a much better product than the OEM. Make sure you re-route it on the other side of the motor mount when installing. I also purchased the two braided throttle cables, and front & rear brake lines. It is hard to believe haow much better it looks than the ugly rubber ones. I highly recommend them all.

Awesome cable..., 3/17/2008
Reviewed by: Seapup from Lake Ridge, VA

beautifully engineered to address all existing M109R clutch cable problems. Looks are 2nd to none. Feels very smooth and effort is slightly easier. Mount outside the left lower motor mount. Minimal grinding with a Dremel to the clutch arm is required to allow the nib on the clutch-end of the cable to properly seat in ferrule.

BAD ASS BARNETT CABLES!!, 1/24/2008
Reviewed by: WAYNE MCKENZIE from SOUTH AFRICA

I have used a 11 over stock BARNETT CLUTCH CABLE!!I found the quality very good!!fitment was a breeze!!The pull was very very good , far superior to the stock Suzuki cable!I would recommend this to product, for stock or over stock!!

Not happy, 11/16/2007
Reviewed by: Peter from Hong Kong

My clutch cable was delivered last week and I duly took it to my Suzuki main dealer here in Hong Kong so that they could fit it to my new M1880R2 in their workshop, before I collect the bike next week. The cable sent was, in their view, second hand! The casing was damaged and the cable sheathing was broken. The dealer told me that they would strongly advise me NOT to fit this item to the bike. I have contacted DLP and sent photos taken of the faulty cable by the dealer. I await their response

Excellent Cable, 10/25/2007
Reviewed by: BillW from Hughesville, Maryland

With all of the OEM clutch cable failures I went ahead and installed the Barnett cable to be a little proactive.

worthless, 10/25/2007
Reviewed by: Larry Mathison from Garland , Tx.

I bought this cable because my stock cable broke . This cable only
lasted 3 months . I will never buy another barnett product .

Great Quality, 10/24/2007
Reviewed by: Sigp220 from Freedom

Very good quality item. Worth every penny.

Another Excellent Cable from Barnett, 10/24/2007
Reviewed by: Delmustator from Raleigh NC Area

Purchased this cable to replace the pathetic OEM cable. Its very well made and looks great on the bike. Although the number of clutch cable failures posted on the M109Riders.com website has been relatively low. Id rather be proactive and replace the cable with a proven superior cable from Barnett.. Thanks DLP!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
oh and is it a PITA to do these?? how much of the plastics do i have to take off.
None if you do it right. Use the old one as a fish tape. Tape the correct end the opposite end of the existing one. Use good tape (duct tape) and tape it tight. Then slowly pull the old one out---may have to jiggle them a bit while pulling. Done it many times on several bikes. Oh, and keep the new one outside the motor mount.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
if im fishing it threw how do i know if its outside or inside the motor mount?:confused:
The factory had it inside the triagular bracket and under the motor mount. Now just move it outside the mount bracket to where you can see it plainly. The factory put pressure on the cable and causes it to wear quicker. By moving it outside, there is no pressure on it and it can now move more freely.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dumbness owns me........

oh i see you must raise the air ride to see the **** right. im friggin stupid....

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
I change them like FururR does, except I tie a strong string to the top end of the old cable and the bottom end of the new one. This lets me pull the old cable out before the new one starts in, and the string guides it through the same locations. I untie the string when the bottom of the new cable gets to the motor mount area and move the cable outside, then just shove it back along the frame to the transmission lever. The motor mount you route it around is the front motor mount.

The new version of the Barnett cable seems to be working OK. I have the second edition and it's still going good, but I check it often and keep the ends lubricated. There's some difference in the lever pull between them but it's not enough to keep me from going back to the stock cable if I needed to.

A couple pictures to show how it's re-routed.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
The type/brand of cable you buy is less important than proper installation, lube and adjustment. If you get those 3 things down correctly, your cable should last 50K+ miles. I'm still running a 1st generation Barnett clutch cable. I inspect it every few months and regrease the barrel ends. It still looks brand new.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys. i will be on the phone with.......DLP i guess on monday to see if they have one.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey guys just wondering... what part of the cable do you lube? Is it just the ends or through the whole cable? Mine is still the factory cable.

Thanks

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
Hey guys just wondering... what part of the cable do you lube? Is it just the ends or through the whole cable? Mine is still the factory cable.

Thanks
You can lube the entire factory cable. The ends have plastic sleeves and really don't need to be lubed, but I always put a little grease on mine anyway. You can buy a kit that has a pressurized bottle of cable lube and an adapter that goes over the end of the cable to force lube into it.

The Barnett cable has a teflon sleeve and teflon coated cable and only needs to have the barrels lubed. Barnett doesn't recommend lubing the cable as it can discolor the stainless braided outer cover. Some do it though.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I've been running the Barnett on my bike for a LOOOOONNNGGGGG time now without a single issue.

I have also replaced 3 or 4 cables on other bikes with the Barnett cable, also still running without issue.

My opinion is the Barnett cable hands down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch Cable Problems

There seems to be a major problem with the M109 breaking clutch cables. I have broken two with 25k miles. The shop I took it to, said they have seen a rash of M's with broken cables. Is this a factory problem we should be aware of and request a fix? Would like other inputs, please.
Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I broke 2 cables then I learned to Keep lots of slack in the cable. When you accelerate the clutch cable tightens up and puts a lot of stress on the cable. If you keep it adjusted with a lot of slack it doesn't do that. I have a Barnetts cable on now for about 18,000 miles and no problems.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
32,000 + with the original cable. The OEM is still good and I will continue to use it, although I have a 2+ Barnett in the garage. After hearing all the chatter about Barnett's in 07 and 08 I was very hesitant to change over.

Did Barnett change anything since 2007? Maybe I can get an upgrade since it is still in the plastic.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yes Barnett changed the cable ends to a different design

·
Registered
333 Posts
Where to get oil pump

where can I purchase the aparatus to oil the cable lines? I am in the US

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
where can I purchase the aparatus to oil the cable lines? I am in the US
Go to any bike shop that sells dirt bikes and they will have them. Or you can do it yourself.

Take a plastic sandwich bag or something similar and put a couple ounces of oil in it. Put the bag over the end of the cable and wrap it tightly with a rubber band to hold it on the cable. Either hang the cable up or hold the bag up for an hour or so while the oil gets into the cable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts