M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys had my clucth cable broke this morning and the cable is pulled into the housing at the shifting ent on the trannie, I have never replaced one before is it hard I have the how to when you use the string tied to the new cable but I can't tie the new cable to the old one is this a big project?

G

·
hi guys had my clucth cable broke this morning and the cable is pulled into the housing at the shifting ent on the trannie, I have never replaced one before is it hard I have the how to when you use the string tied to the new cable but I can't tie the new cable to the old one is this a big project?
It's a self-contained unit. No user serviceable parts, and no way around ordering a new cable...jury rigging it back together, even if you could, is asking for trouble. $36 at babbits...my advice is buy two of them, and keep a spare under the seat if you're planning on keeping the bike for any length of time. Eventually you're gonna snap another one. If you're in the middle of nowhere when it happens, you can be back on the road in a half hour...beats walking.

www.babbittsonline.com

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
also do you have to replace the housing or just the cable
you need to replace the complete cable as it also comes that way
20-30 min job
before pulling the old able out, type a good strong string to the upper end of the cable to be used for pulling the new cable in without taking off any of the front panels
remove the left transmission cover to get to the lower cable
at this point, it's you will see it is easy

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am wondering how or why some of you snap clutch cables, especiallly enough to carry a spare cable. I am going on 13000 miles and never any issue(knock on wood) I just wonder if you that have a problem adjust the cable too tight in the first place. Just wondering

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am wondering how or why some of you snap clutch cables, especiallly enough to carry a spare cable. I am going on 13000 miles and never any issue(knock on wood) I just wonder if you that have a problem adjust the cable too tight in the first place. Just wondering
Same here at 10,000 miles. I'm wondering if they have the cable
adjusted too tight as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't start counting your blessing just yet. I like you was laughing my rear off because mine was showing no wear at 18,500 miles. Well now at 19,000 miles mine broke. There is not a M109R clutch cable to be had in Texas or Arkansaw. No one stocks them. Everyone can order them. So my bike is down for 7-10 days because I was way to smart to listen to everyone and order a spare. Won't happen to me again as far as clutch cables go. I will always have a spare.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Reroute the cable from under the engine mount the the left of the engine mount. thats probably where it broke at.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Leaving a bit more play in the cable adjustment seems to allow the cable to last longer. For some reason, when you gas the bike hard it pulls on the cable and if it's adjusted with not enough slack in the cable it's constantly putting pressure on the cable when under hard acceleration. This is probably what leads to many premature breakages.

·
Registered
131 Posts
clutch cable

does anyone have pictures on how to change this cable that way when it does happen i can see how its done.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
pm SENT:p Piece of cake:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anyone order from babbits? They say right up fron that it will take them 3-6 days to process your order. That's before they ship. I guess it is good they are up front about it but that sure seems slow.

G

·
Perhaps, but even when properly adjusted, it's still a mechanical cable that's constantly being put under tension, then relief, tension, then relief. Most of them won't last forever. My stock cable snapped at 15,000 miles. Some guys don't get half that much.

As for why I carry a spare...it's simple. It's a $35 part that's easily carried, and can be swapped out on the side of the road in a half hour. I was very happy I had that spare when mine broke. Better than paying for a tow, or trying to get home shifting without the clutch. Half the time these clutches fall apart when you can shift properly...

G

·
Anyone order from babbits? They say right up fron that it will take them 3-6 days to process your order. That's before they ship. I guess it is good they are up front about it but that sure seems slow.
I've ordered from babbitts many times. They're slow, but reliable. And usually they're cheaper than some other parts houses. I've seen the clutch cable for $20 more on some other sites.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I removed my cable from the hand lever and fitted a funnel made from tape and filled it with oil. The oil ran down the full length of the cable making the clutch cable a lot smother, and hopefully helping it not break.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Those of you who have/are replacing your cable, or are carrying around a spare, are you using an OEM cable or aftermarket? If aftermarket, which one?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I did some research in this site and found that most people seem to prefer the Barnett cable, so I ordered one. My bike just turned 14K miles on the original cable so I'm probably on borrowed time...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts