M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Im just bored right now because I wont be seeing my bike for at least another 2 months.... winter :(

I had a quesiton about the clutch because I had just sent it in to my shop for its service which included lube, oil filter and cable adjustments.. typically my mechanic does a stand up job but this time he adjusted my clutch in such a way that the bike only moves forward once the clutch is about 90% of the way out... Does not give a lot of control for low speed stuff in parking lots or in traffic...

Which way can I adjust the clutch so that I can have it start rolling about 50% of the way releasing the clutch? I like to start rolling as soon as I let go of the grip, not towards the end..

thanks!!

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Just take the cover on the left side of the motor off and you can adjust that to get your clutch engagement close. For the fine adjustment use the adjustment on the clutch perch. Just Tighten it till it feels good so that you can engage the clutch a bit sooner in the clutch lever release.

It will take a couple times of hopping on your bike to test it then adjusting one way or the other to make it as close to perfect as you can. Just make sure you have the proper slack to save wear and tear on your clutch cable.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
JD is dead on. You just look at where the nut and lock nut are on the bottom. You can them try moving them up or down and adjust out up top to compensate.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So in other words, the adjustment under the cover is the "Big" adjustment and the one near the lever is "fine" adjustment?

I need to see what this part looks like, I don't have my bike anywhere near where I live unfortunately otherwise Id go look now... It's an adjustable screw/knob?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
So in other words, the adjustment under the cover is the "Big" adjustment and the one near the lever is "fine" adjustment?

I need to see what this part looks like, I don't have my bike anywhere near where I live unfortunately otherwise Id go look now... It's an adjustable screw/knob?
Ok, if you look below, the arrow is pointing to the bracket. To the left you will see where the cable goes through the bracket hole. You will see the nut below it. there is also 1 above. You basically undo the top nut first as that is a lock nut so to speak. Then you just use a wrench on the bottom nut and go or down to make your adjustment. The way I do it is take the lever end in all the way. Then take the bottom up, if I remember correctly, until you get close up top. Then fine tune it. Fire it up, check it out and see if it is better. You may have to try a few times. That is how you do your clutch adjustment for the most part.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
To get it to engage sooner you need more slack in the lever, so adjust it to get that. I bet yours is pretty tight right now with very little slack in it. That's also not good on the cable as the motor will be pulling on it under acceleration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I was having the same issue as RicoChet and was follow this thread but now I can't shift into first without killing the motor. I've adjusted the bolts on the clutch release arm all the way up and all the way down and the bike still does a slight lurch forward and dies.
Im certain Im doing something wrong but what?

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
So I was having the same issue as RicoChet and was follow this thread but now I can't shift into first without killing the motor. I've adjusted the bolts on the clutch release arm all the way up and all the way down and the bike still does a slight lurch forward and dies.
Im certain Im doing something wrong but what?
It sounds like you have too much free-play. With too much the clutch is not dis-engaging enough to make a smooth shift. Up at the clutch lever, you should have just enough free-play to be able to get a couple quarters in between the clutch lever, and the bracket its hinged on. Once you get this you can fine tune it to your preference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I adjusted to have the two quarter distance but even with the clutch pulled all the way back the bike will die as soon as I shift into gear.
So wishing I hadn't started this project. ugh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So now I feel like a total idiot!!! Laying in bed last night and POOF it hits me. Put up the stupid kickstand before you shift into gear. First thing this morning I ran out to the garage in my socks and yes it works now.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Haha, don't feel bad, every time my brother rides my bike he shuts it off with the kill switch. I usually go through about a minute of thinking something is wrong with my bike before figuring it out.
Been there, done that. With my wife's M50 soon after she first started riding the thing. Would not start one night after a birthday party a group of us rode to. After lots of head scratching, and topping off the coolant reservoir because it was low, it still would not start. Then I just happened to glance at the Kill switch, and it was off.

Wile E. Coyote double light bulb eyes.:D

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
So now I feel like a total idiot!!! Laying in bed last night and POOF it hits me. Put up the stupid kickstand before you shift into gear. First thing this morning I ran out to the garage in my socks and yes it works now.
Thanks for the help.
Man, am I glad that I kept on and read your post. I was doing the same thing for about 30 minutes and was about to request assistance about what I was doing wrong:doh:. Oh well, we live, read, and learn:a20::clap2::clap2:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts