M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my bike is sitting at idle in nuetral I hear a knocking that sounds like a bad engine noise but it goes away when I pull the clutch in. It only makes this knock when fully warmed up. I know a little noise difference between engageing and disengageing the clutch is normal but it seems louder than before. Anyone else experiencing this or have an idea of the cause?

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I agree :agree:. I have done the Bluey Fix on mine and it is not a cure all for the clutch shudder. It was only temporary, and the shudder came back. Just got used to it and its the nature of the 9. If you do end up doing the Bluey Fix I would recommend to check the tubular nut just to make sure. Lock-Tite the nut as well while you are in there.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No vibration or shudder, and I know all V-twins make a certain amount of similar noise but mine seems quite a bit louder than it originally was. If this thing had push rods you'd swear it was rod knock (until you pulled the clutch lever in). Maybe as I'm ageing things are just getting louder in my head :joke:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
Chief, I have an entire clutch basket here and if you could hear it when I pick it up and shake it you could tell where the knocking comes from. The springs in these things sound like they are just tossed in a can.

The pressure plate is a 3 piece unit. The springs are inserted in a slot that goes through all 3 units and then tabs are bent loosely over them to retain them. When torque hits the pressure plate, either through acceleration or deceleration, the plates shift and compress the spring. This takes some of the jolt off the drive train. It works pretty much like the pressure plate in a car. But in this design the springs are loose in the slots, so at idle as each piston fires the plates bounce back and forth whacking on the spring, making the knocking noise. I'm sure the slack is also taken up in other parts of the clutch too. Pulling the clutch takes the load off the clutch basket and the knocking goes away.

I don't know why they leave them loose. The springs could have been longer or the slots shorter, or they could have used a bushing on the ends of the springs. Oddly, they use two different weight springs in it too, but both are shorter than the slot.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Zoom for a good explaination. I'm no engineer, but too bad Suzuki couldn't quiet this disturbing noise a bit with a few cheap bushings. I wonder why it gets so much louder when the engine gets hot? I've actually pulled in the clutch at a light so I don't have to listen to it.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Thanks Zoom for a good explaination. I'm no engineer, but too bad Suzuki couldn't quiet this disturbing noise a bit with a few cheap bushings. I wonder why it gets so much louder when the engine gets hot? I've actually pulled in the clutch at a light so I don't have to listen to it.
When I first start my "9" up when it's cold, the rattling is barely noticeable. As each minute pass's it get louder. Once warm, it's really loud.
I hate that it's so bad it throws the idle of my bike off. Doesn't run smooth when the springs are flopping all around like that. I actually have one of the quick grip clamps that I throw on my clutch handle when warming my bike up, so it can warm up without the noise and rough idle.
I only take it off when I leave.
A new clutch basket is in the mix for this spring for sure.
Incidentally, I've been told if you sync the throttle bodies, it has a positive impact as well. Haven't verified that though.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Bluey fix

I guess it's been so long ago that the Bluey fix was discovered, it's been forgotten. I did mine years ago, and the noise hasn't returned. I have no difference in sound with the clutch in or out. I just used the hammer them down til they touch method too. Seems to have done the trick in my case.
I don't know why people discount this fix, it's pretty obvious, to me at least, that this is a no cost solution. People either haven't tried it, or didn't hammer the "wings" down enough. Maybe I just got lucky, or have a magic touch with a hammer?:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I'll try that fix. Can't stand the rod knock noise

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I think it's a couple things. The oil gets thinner and the metal expands so the springs move more. I know when I went to 20w-50 mine got quieter. In fact, I can almost gauge when mine needs the oil changed because the clutch rattle gets louder and the shift smoothness drops off.

I guess it's been so long ago that the Bluey fix was discovered, it's been forgotten. I did mine years ago, and the noise hasn't returned. I have no difference in sound with the clutch in or out. I just used the hammer them down til they touch method too. Seems to have done the trick in my case.
I don't know why people discount this fix, it's pretty obvious, to me at least, that this is a no cost solution. People either haven't tried it, or didn't hammer the "wings" down enough. Maybe I just got lucky, or have a magic touch with a hammer?:dontknow:
CBR, I think some got scared of it when someone posted pictures of how much the bent over tabs had worn due to increased contact with the springs. I don't now if you recall the pictures or not, but the springs had worn into them quite a bit, and had even worn small recess on the ends of the slots where the springs make contact. I'd expect the recess on the slots to show up anyway as that is where the springs contact.

I'm going to experiment with the extra basket and see how hard it would be to add some bushings to these. The pressure plate is riveted together so redoing that would be the most difficult part. I'd rather not bend the tabs out to get a bushing in.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I did the Bluey fix as well. I was so happy when the noise and vibration pretty much disappeared. However, it did come back on mine. It took a long time though and many miles. I have just under 60,000 km's on my bike now and I did the fix a long time ago. It's possible the tabs weren't bent just right or something like that, but either way it did come back. and this time I'm going to get a new basket and start over.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Bluey fix

I probably just haven't ridden mine far enough to have the noise return, perhaps it will. I treat the bike pretty gently though. Kinda of like my poor back, I try not to stress it too much since I know it won't take it.
All parts will wear over time. Especially clutches on big V-twins. The damper spring arrangement seems like a particularly wear prone design.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
My bike is doing the same! I thought it was the tubular nut, backing off.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
My bike is doing the same! I thought it was the tubular nut, backing off.
When that happens it does it all at once and you lose the clutch. You might notice the clutch starting to act different just a little before it loosens, but not much. It doesn't make any noise when it happens.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Thanks, but it's really loud! And it has 30,000 miles on it. Last year had the NUT Back off, and the dealer at the time put it back on for me. Yet now that dealer, is out of buisness and missed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So I guess suzuki never came up with a fix for this? Everyone has just been putting up with the noise? I haven't been riding mine much lately because it bothers me to hear the noise. It's gotten loud enough to hear it really well even in 4th gear. Suzuki just doesn't know how bad they are screwing them self by ignoring problems like this. I will never buy another suzuki.
James

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have noticed that mine seems much louder in the past 2 weeks than it has in the past 3 years. I'm not sure why or if I am just more attuned to it now that I finally have it back from the dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts