M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I have to explain that I have been riding for 47 years and have taught motorcycle safety since the early 70's. I have never had a wreck or major close call. I have riden and taught in Japan, Okinawa, Philippines and Hong Kong as well as all over the US for the US Navy. Not trying to brag but wanted you to really appreciate the issue.

I was coming back from Deals gap to Robinsville and was on a long left sweeping curve along a lake when I slowly eased off the shoulder of the road while looking at the lake. I was doing just over 65 mph when I exited the road. The shoulder was made up of a gravel base with long weeds and was slopping about 4% down to a ditch. I let up slowly on the throttle while edging it back towards the road over a 100 yard distance. The edge of the road had a 2" drop so I stayed close to it until I was doing about 55 mph and found a smaller rise area. The bike went back over the edge and back onto the highway just before the guard rail like it was nothing. Not once did the rear end fishtail, the front end try to slide out or the back get squirrly. It performed perfect. You got to love the big rear tire.

After I got back up on the road I kept on going while pulling weeds off both front turn signals. I kept on another mile or so and stopped at a small cycle shop just before Robbinsville. A few of the sport bike guys came over as I was getting off the bike and asked did I go in the back country and was just very lucky. As I was pulling grass out of the pipes, grill and foot pegs I answered "I was very lucky with a great bike"!

Goes to show you it only takes a moment of inattention to get your ass in trouble no matter who you are. With a little luck and a very stable bike it can stay just a minor mishap in a days ride. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
sailor34957 said:
First I have to explain that I have been riding for 47 years and have taught motorcycle safety since the early 70's. I have never had a wreck or major close call. I have riden and taught in Japan, Okinawa, Philippines and Hong Kong as well as all over the US for the US Navy. Not trying to brag but wanted you to really appreciate the issue.

I was coming back from Deals gap to Robinsville and was on a long left sweeping curve along a lake when I slowly eased off the shoulder of the road while looking at the lake. I was doing just over 65 mph when I exited the road. The shoulder was made up of a gravel base with long weeds and was slopping about 4% down to a ditch. I let up slowly on the throttle while edging it back towards the road over a 100 yard distance. The edge of the road had a 2" drop so I stayed close to it until I was doing about 55 mph and found a smaller rise area. The bike went back over the edge and back onto the highway just before the guard rail like it was nothing. Not once did the rear end fishtail, the front end try to slide out or the back get squirrly. It performed perfect. You got to love the big rear tire.

After I got back up on the road I kept on going while pulling weeds off both front turn signals. I kept on another mile or so and stopped at a small cycle shop just before Robbinsville. A few of the sport bike guys came over as I was getting off the bike and asked did I go in the back country and was just very lucky. As I was pulling grass out of the pipes, grill and foot pegs I answered "I was very lucky with a great bike"!

Goes to show you it only takes a moment of inattention to get your ass in trouble no matter who you are. With a little luck and a very stable bike it can stay just a minor mishap in a days ride. :bigthumbsup:
Excellent post! Had a "old rider friend" share some thoughts on cycle riding....."when you believe you have mastered the machine it's time to quit riding"......"you are never the master, only the rider"......"be ever vigilant and be alive"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts