M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought an 06 m109r with only 3400 miles on it that had been sitting for roughly 3 years. I drained and changed everything to amsoil and installed k&n air filters. Upon changing the air filters I found a mouse nest in the air box. I'm kinda convinced that some seeds or corn or something got sucked into the system but I can't find anything. Haven't removed the exhaust yet but before I do I was looking for any advice or tips on the butterfly valve? The bike does start right up, and runs strong. I just want to avoid damaging anything. And I can't post a video of the startup clicking noise to show you 馃槦

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
Does the clicking noise happen when you turn the switch on, when cranking, or after starting? It makes some unique noises.

Welcome to the forum too. 馃檵鈥嶁檪锔

And if you're worried that something made it through the intake and engine and out the exhaust, don't be. Nothing as big as even a seed of corn is going to make it past the valves. I imagine the nest you found was on the outside of the actual air filter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the clicking noise happen when you turn the switch on, when cranking, or after starting? It makes some unique noises.

Welcome to the forum too. 馃檵鈥嶁檪锔

And if you're worried that something made it through the intake and engine and out the exhaust, don't be. Nothing as big as even a seed of corn is going to make it past the valves. I imagine the nest you found was on the outside of the actual air filter.
Yeah it was sitting on top the paper filter, but the clicking happens when I turn the key and push run, not while starting. It starts and runs just fine. I know I'm supposed to hear the fuel pump initializing and I do, and the clicking seems to be coming from the center of the exhaust pipe.

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
That's probably the SET valve, or the butterfly valve in the exhaust. It cycles when you turn the switch on, but usually they squeak instead of clicking, unless the actuator is stripped. You can see if its moving or not by sticking a mirror behind the exhaust and watching it. The actuator is under the chrome piece behind the clutch cover and has two cables that run forward to the SET valve. I think if you turn the switch on and then turn the kill switch off and on you can get it to move while on that side of the bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's probably the SET valve, or the butterfly valve in the exhaust. It cycles when you turn the switch on, but usually they squeak instead of clicking, unless the actuator is stripped. You can see if its moving or not by sticking a mirror behind the exhaust and watching it. The actuator is under the chrome piece behind the clutch cover and has two cables that run forward to the SET valve. I think if you turn the switch on and then turn the kill switch off and on you can get it to move while on that side of the bike.
I don't need to remove anything to see the set valve? I've done alot of research and was under the impression that I had to remove the top muffler to get to it. Also my theory is that the butterfly valve is the culprit. I'll try it tomorrow morning when the light is better. Thanks for the advice!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't need to remove anything to see the set valve? I've done alot of research and was under the impression that I had to remove the top muffler to get to it. Also my theory is that the butterfly valve is the culprit. I'll try it tomorrow morning when the light is better. Thanks for the advice!
I've also concidered an exhaust servo healer or set valve bypass, would either of these affect performance at all? Currently the exhaust odor is very strong. The bike is 100% stock other than the k&n air filters and the synthetic engine and gear oil. Amsoil in the engine and royal purple max gear in the final drive.

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
If you just want to see if it's working you don't need to pull off anything, a small mirror behind the upper exhaust will let you see it. You can also pull the chrome half-moon cover off that is under the right plastic side panel to see it too. The servo is there and the cables run forward to the other side of the catalytic converter to where the SET valve is. With the exhaust cold you can reach a finger in behind it and feel the cables. You may be able to see it by sticking your head under the bike too. I haven't had a stock exhaust on mine in almost 14 years and can't really remember. But you can definitely look under it and see where the head pipes merge together right in front of the converter, and that's where the SET valve is located. Keep in mind the actual flapper is inside the pipe, so all you will see on the outside is the shaft with the two cables connected to it.

The SET valve is spring loaded to stay open if you disconnect the cables and it won't hurt your performance, or not enough that you would notice. It will get slightly louder at idle, but very little. So if you want to eliminate the working of it, just pull the cables off the servo and install a servo eliminator.

I'm not sure why you would have a strong exhaust odor though, unless the valve was stuck closed, but if it runs well I'm pretty sure that's not the issue. I would make sure it's actually cycling with the switch and then figure out the odor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts