M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made this myself this morning while I had the tank off (thought you could do it with the tank on as well).

If you look closely, you will see a piece of 3M Scotchcal, cut into a 14"x7"x12" trapezoid. This is exactly the same material they use to make the Suzuki sticker on the tail section. It is perfectly clear, sticks great, peels off with no residue, and protects the paint from belt and zipper scratches and what not. Unlike leather or vinyl tank bras, it will not cause more scratches or a wear pattern. You can even wax right over it.

You don't need a big piece like this, but I uses a large piece so I can slap my tank bag on without damaging the tank.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Wanted said:
Made this myself this morning while I had the tank off (thought you could do it with the tank on as well).

If you look closely, you will see a piece of 3M Scotchcal, cut into a 14"x7"x12" trapezoid. This is exactly the same material they use to make the Suzuki sticker on the tail section. It is perfectly clear, sticks great, peels off with no residue, and protects the paint from belt and zipper scratches and what not. Unlike leather or vinyl tank bras, it will not cause more scratches or a wear pattern. You can even wax right over it.

You don't need a big piece like this, but I uses a large piece so I can slap my tank bag on without damaging the tank.
Where did you buy the Scotch Guard????

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wanted said:

Wanted.... I noticed you mentioned using a tank bag; have you had any problems with your speedometer? I am just curious because my dealers shop manager told me not to use a tank bag because the magnets in the bag will cause the speedometer become "erratic" and eventually burn out the speedometer. He was also very quick to point that this type of malfunction would not be covered under warranty if a tank bag was used.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I've never had a problem. I used a tank bag on my last Boulevard on many occasions, and also no problems.

P.S. If something like this did happen, how would the dealer know it was caused by a tank bag in the first place? ;)

G

·
You would have to tell them that was what was happening. As far as anyone knows it has to do with aliens nearby.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Ahem, Page 103 paragraph 2
" Riding near Aliens is strictly prohibited due to the high levels of "AntiOmeter" in their blood.
This has been known to cause problems with many types of simple metering devices. If a
problem should arise due to prolonged exposure to aliens it it best to wrap yourself in tinfoil
as a precaution."

Thank you Suzuki Motors USA

·
Registered
584 Posts
sledzep01 said:
Ahem, Page 103 paragraph 2
  " Riding near Aliens is strictly prohibited due to the high levels of "AntiOmeter" in their blood.
    This has been known to cause problems with many types of simple metering devices. If a
    problem should arise due to prolonged exposure to aliens it it best to wrap yourself in tinfoil
   as a precaution."

Thank you Suzuki Motors USA
Good read! LOL! I missed that part!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have noticed how easy it is to rub, as the tank is quite long. However, the clear is holding up awesome.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EZ WIND said:
Do you have to order this off the net or can you find it in a store.
I've never seen it in a store. Some auto body places might have it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Folks:

After reading this post I checked my tank where is meets the front of the seat. Sure enough you can see some chafing from the vinyl seat cover where it contacts the tank paint.
I took a quick ride to my local Chevy dealer and talked to the parts person about some stone/chip guard material. He gave me a big smile and went to the body shop and returned with a box of Pro Stripe. This stuff is 6" wide and 20' long according to the box and is crystal clear with adhesive backing. It is thicker than the material Suzuki used by the rear seat edge. This guy cut me off a foot long piece and says "No Charge" :) :) :) :) :).....he gave me some specific directions on how to apply it.
Might be worth a trip to you favorite car dealership, as a possible source, for the protective film!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts