M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a smoked on order along with side plate mount from DLP. I have been waiting six months for this taillight to come out to clean up my 9's rear. Now it sounds like the light is too dim. I don't want to get this stuff and have to add lights back on. Haven't seen it in person yet. I know clear alts has been doing taillights along time. THOUGHTS?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have the clear on order from DLP (hope to get it tomorrow) along with the crash bars, will let you know as soon as I get it installed. BTW what color is your bike, I was torn between the smoke and the clear for a silver bike.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You did good. install it and maybe add some nice small turn signals in the rear IF you want to work in conjunction with the brake light's turn signal integration. Personally I like mine and will add some extra LEDs to flash when I have the brake light applied. Good mods

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just installed the clear this weekend and I think it is fine. My buddies that were riding behind me ( as usual ) said it was plenty bright. It seems dim because the lense is clear versus red thats all. I love it and I am very happy I made the purchase.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
if they really are that much dimmer, it's unfortunate. LED's are extremely cheap, and really bright ones are abundantly available these days. with as many that go into the construction of a tail light, there's really no excuse for it to be dim. *if* they are really that dim, clear alternatives should take note and change future versions.

same thing with that damned stanley tripod light (that you see the cool alien comercial about). it's a great idea, and it's really handy, but the damned thing is too dim.

·
Registered
924 Posts
cbxer55 said:
Lamont,
I sent you daytime photos of the clear light.
1. Running
2.Brake
3. Running with r/h signal.

Robert Hill
 I got you covered  :bigthumbsup:  :agree:

Â

Â

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
no doubt in my mind ,I saw 'em running side by side this weekend and doughboys light looked like it wasn't even on til you were right on top of it.....and that was during the daytime here in florida around 11:eek:o am......it might be as bright as the running lights on the stocker when the brakes are applied but definately isn't any brighter than the stockers runninglight for sure!!!!!!
I was gonna order on till I saw that this past weekend....they need to rethink the intesity on the leds they are using
Well, there ya have it.... That sucks. I really would like to put a smoke version on my black bike, but I'm not gonna do it if they are that dim. My wife already complains about my Kury Small Silver Bullet LEDs in the rear. She says they aren't bright at all when she's driving behind me, and keeps telling me to switch back to stock... Like that's gonna happen ::)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
well, mine's already being shipped. maybe i can switch out the LED's, or take the covers off, and put the clear on stock LED's. will see when it gets here.

poor show clear alternatives!

·
Registered
600 Posts
For those that have such knowledge of LEDs... does the fact that each LED in the aftermarket lights have to be able to emit both red and yellow (signal) colors diminish the output (brightness) of the red color? Is part of each "bulb" dedicated to a color, which would make the multicolor "bulbs" less bright? Just wondering why the aftermarket light wouldn't be as bright as the stock light :dontknow:

·
Registered
169 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
no doubt in my mind ,I saw 'em running side by side this weekend and doughboys light looked like it wasn't even on til you were right on top of it.....and that was during the daytime here in florida around 11:eek:o am......it might be as bright as the running lights on the stocker when the brakes are applied but definately isn't any brighter than the stockers runninglight for sure!!!!!!
I was gonna order on till I saw that this past weekend....they need to rethink the intesity on the leds they are using
:bigthumbsup:

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=7369.msg100224#msg100224

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
cbxer55 said:
There are individual bulbs for the blinker function.
The bulbs themselves cannot change color.
I'm not gonna say there aren't separate bulbs for the turn function, but LEDs CAN be multi colored. Lizard lights are a perfect example. They just have more than one diode in the bulb. The red/yellow function would most likely be done with one diode for each color. For LEDs that can change multiple colors, they usually have 3 primary color diodes and just 'blend' them to make all the other colors... sort of like how pixels on a TV or computer monitor blend to make all the colors. The fact that there are more than one diode in each bulb means that each diode is smaller than normal. This in turn means less light output.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Medic1210 said:
I'm not gonna say there aren't separate bulbs for the turn function, but LEDs CAN be multi colored. Lizard lights are a perfect example. They just have more than one diode in the bulb. The red/yellow function would most likely be done with one diode for each color. For LEDs that can change multiple colors, they usually have 3 primary color diodes and just 'blend' them to make all the other colors... sort of like how pixels on a TV or computer monitor blend to make all the colors. The fact that there are more than one diode in each bulb means that each diode is smaller than normal. This in turn means less light output.
That's what I was getting at :bigthumbsup: There is less total "area", or whatever you want to call it, for a particular color in a multicolor LED than one that is designed to emit only one color - given that both LEDs are the same physical size and have the same voltage/current running to them. Thanks for "clear"-ing that up for me :D

I don't think there are separate LED "bulbs" for the turn signal function in the aftermarket lights. Both have two rows of one (vertically), two rows of two and three rows of three.

Stock light:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just and FYI for everyone the Clear Alternatives Clear tail lights are on back order with DLP until like the 15th. And the Crash bars are backordered for at least a 3 weeks. I appreciate DLP calling me to let me know this right away.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
wonder if they got their first shipment and sold out. i got an invoice for mine today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.