M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised, the Clear Alternatives kit came in today and here is what I found out. I'll preface this with I have a Clear Alternatives Smoke brake Lens on my YZF600R and am very happy with it.........

First off, UPS tried to foil the plans before they even started:

Luckily I was home when the UPS guy got here and he waited until I opened the package to make sure they were ok. All was good.

Here is what they look like:

And what you start with:

Remove the old lens by removing this screw on the bottom of the signal:

Twist the Lens to the left and remove from signal. Remove clear bulb (by pushing in and turning to the left) and insert orange bulb included with kit.

Here are some side by side shots:

The first thing I noticed is that the Suzuki foam is much thicker then the clear alternatives foam. I don't know if this will matter or not but I thought I'd point it out.

AND that they molded in the words "Clear Alternatives" into the lens. Now, this may not matter to some people but it really turned me off to them quickly.

I did the right hand light first (as if you were sitting on the bike) and the lens fit in snugly but when I went to screw in the retainer screw I discovered that the hole is not pre threaded and it's just a tad small for the stock screw. I was actually unable to get the screw in all the way before I started stripping the screw head.

Half way there:

On the left hand side I had some issues. The left hand lens was consideribly smaller in outter diameter then the right hand lens and was very loose in the housing. The screw hole also did not line up on the bottom. It was close but you would have had to install the screw at an angle (the clear lens would not go back far enough). I sat it in for this picture:

So thats the scoop. The bulbs were ok for brightness in the daylight, definately less noticable then the stock but I think that is a trade off any time you goto clear lens's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with everything said. I ordered the smoked lenses though, they look real kewl.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Sounds like an over all thumbs down to me based on your experience... :( I was hoping they would be better .....

khrome

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Good write up, next thing I would do is get some chrome bulbs. Then you won't see any
orange in the signals. Chrome will burn orange/amber..Let me look I may still have a set you can have if I didn't throw them out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
They will look better with a clear bulb.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I have used their products and that kind of quality is not typical of them. May be some prototype lenses or something. as the last comment said get rid of the orange bulbs and get the Sylvannia Silver star bulbs at Auto Zone or whatever other store carries them. they are chrome looking but can be had in amber or red and gives the clear lense a kind of rainbow look. they are bright too.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Got to be honest ...like the look of clear lenes but the advertisment on the lens looks like sheet and it sounds like the install is the same ( Hal pass on them)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went back to my stock lens covers for now since I really can't mount up the left one (because the screw hole didn't line up) and it was really loose in the mount.

Even if they had mounted up the brand name advertisement would have turned me off of using them. Maybe I'm oversentsitive about it but thats one of those details I just can't look past. Had they molded it on the inside rim or the back of the reflector (inside) where you wouldn't see it I would not have cared but to have it on the outside I really was turned off.

Is it just me on this ?. I'm not sure why I care but I guess that I took off the Suzuki decal back there for a reason, I would want the modifications I make to complement the bike not advertise where I got them.

G

·
Chris,
I took off my stock signals, if you want my stock screws since you partially stripped the heads, just let me know and I will bring them with me on Saturday. I am a pack rat and save everything. Ask my wife :p

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bruno said:
Chris,
I took off my stock signals, if you want my stock screws since you partially stripped the heads, just let me know and I will bring them with me on Saturday. I am a pack rat and save everything. Ask my wife :p
Thanks but I think I'm ok, Besides I'll leave those for you so when you give up and put them back on you don't have to hunt me down for the screws again.

G

·
Chris, ouch, that hurt dude. I am not giving up. My mod is almost done. Going to my Pops shop tomorrow morning to finish it up. I'll show it to you when it is done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
thats not the first set from clear alternatives that doesn't work. a guy at work got an integrated tail light for a ZX636 that didn't fit in its mounting tab. we had to glue it in place. sometimes i think that manufacturers never actually test the products they sell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts