M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I bought the CA sequential led integrated tail light. After 500 miles every other row took a dump. I swappped it out for the regular led light and 500 miles later they're starting to go again. I know what brand I'm not buying ever again. I hope the new D2 or whatever its called holds up a lot better, I'm tired of getting crappy lights.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the D2moto light is also from Clear Alternatives. Someone else told me that anyhow. I've had two burn out as well, but I'll give their Third Generation a try, its undergoing testing now, and will supposedly be a more heavy duty light.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have the clear CA back from 2007 and it not only has lights out but it has faded and yellowed a bit over time! I might just go with the stocker for a while till i can get a replacement!

Anyone on here modding the stock lights? i.e doing some sort of pattern on the inside of the lens cover etc... I thought i read something on here about someone doing these!

Juice109

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the D2moto light is also from Clear Alternatives. Someone else told me that anyhow. I've had two burn out as well, but I'll give their Third Generation a try, its undergoing testing now, and will supposedly be a more heavy duty light.
I think that info is wrong. D2moto had a 3rd party factory, overseas, make their lights. That same factory also started selling them on ebay, against the contract agreement. That is why D2moto will honor a replacement for the upgrade if you bought directly from them. However, my understanding is that they, the factory and Clear Alternatives never had anything to do with each other and the products never were never shared.

The new generation is going to be a ton better. The lights are bright as can be as Hink has one that he is testing. They plastic welded it as well so it is guaranteed to not get water in it. In addition, there will be a relay with it that replaces your stock relay. This relay will eliminate the use of load equalizers and the thought is that this light will finally be the one that we all have been looking for....that won't fail.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
The new generation is going to be a ton better. The lights are bright as can be as Hink has one that he is testing. They plastic welded it as well so it is guaranteed to not get water in it. In addition, there will be a relay with it that replaces your stock relay. This relay will eliminate the use of load equalizers and the thought is that this light will finally be the one that we all have been looking for....that won't fail.
I hope your right. And I will be buying one, even though I have had two failed lights in the past. One more try, one more chance. If the third generation fails, never again.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I hope your right. And I will be buying one, even though I have had two failed lights in the past. One more try, one more chance. If the third generation fails, never again.
I agree. I wanted the CA light so bad when I first got the bike. I happened to stumble across it right when the first gens were dying quick. Customdynamics sells ones for the raider and warrior that are so nice and I always wanted one. I am going to be testing one, as well as Big-B of the new versions in about 30 days. So, we soon should see. The price tag will be pretty nice as well. I think they are talking $70 for it or something close to that.

G

·
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Does it give you a "happy ending" too?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Problem is that short term tests will not tell you anything, IMHO. My first generation lasted over a year before it failed me. The second lasted almost three years before failing.

I'll still chance it. But I sure wish I had some way to tell when it finally goes, because both of mine failed a long way from home while riding. I did not know about the first gen until someone riding with me told me about it, same for the gen II.

Not confidence-inspiring, to say the least.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Does it give you a "happy ending" too?
:a20: :doh:

Problem is that short term tests will not tell you anything, IMHO. My first generation lasted over a year before it failed me. The second lasted almost three years before failing.

I'll still chance it. But I sure wish I had some way to tell when it finally goes, because both of mine failed a long way from home while riding. I did not know about the first gen until someone riding with me told me about it, same for the gen II.

Not confidence-inspiring, to say the least.
Very true, but that is also true with many products. I know that the first test was that it was left out in a pouring rain over a couple days. It is being submerged in a bucked of water for a couple of days. Also, going from freezer to inside, back to freezer, then to water I think...or something like that. In addition, it is going on a paint shaker and some other tests that will be on video. After all that, and if it works great and no water in it, then it should be good to go with some major prayers. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think that info is wrong. D2moto had a 3rd party factory, overseas, make their lights. That same factory also started selling them on ebay, against the contract agreement. That is why D2moto will honor a replacement for the upgrade if you bought directly from them. However, my understanding is that they, the factory and Clear Alternatives never had anything to do with each other and the products never were never shared.

I saw the video for the 3rd gen D2, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it passes all the tests. I love the clean look of the back end and I wanna keep it that way.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I saw the video for the 3rd gen D2, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it passes all the tests. I love the clean look of the back end and I wanna keep it that way.
I agree, I hated having to go back to the stock signals after having it"clean shaven", lol.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Paint shaker

The paint shaker test should work for the Harleys in the crowd, or the drive down my dirt road from town.

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
So far to date the only proven rear clear brake light is the OE LE light. I have heard that the D2 light is coming along well with lots of hope. Only time will really tell.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,958 Posts
I think ZOOM could help us here. He puts product through hell on a daily basis at AWC.
Lol, I love tearing chit up. :D

D2's may have some different parts in it, but I almost guarantee it comes from the same supplier as the CA lights. They may just spec it with different LED's and resistors. If I had one of each I could tell for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts