M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys with BigAir kits go about washing your bikes without drenching the filters? I'm guessing that would not be good for them in any fashion...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I haven't washed mine yet (still sunny & clear in California ;)), maybe a couple of shower caps will work.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I dont have the Big Air... but I have the home brew'd cold air intake... Leaves me with basically the same problem

I use the carrying bag for frog togs... (1 each side)

They are the perfect size to fit over the filter and have a zip string to cinch em down. The best part is that they breathe, so if I ever get caught in the rain and have to ride I can throw them on over the filters and keep the filters dry until I get home.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
So does that mean, the Big Air isn't great to be riding in the rain..

I live in British Columbia, and I ride all winter. Winter here = Rain, lots of rain. If the filter got wet daily, would that be a problem...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm sure if you rode in rain every day it would be a problem,But Lemonster said he rode in some pretty good rain with no problem,And I have rode in a little rain with No problem at all Silentrider

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The filters are K&N, they are oil impregnated so rain shouldn't be an issue.. but immersion or high pressure water most certainly would be.. especially if the water you emerse them in is full of detergents designed to remove oils from painted surfaces.. Kinda like the stuff I use to wash my bike.. Just thinking about not jacking the bike up is all, thought maybe peeps had some good ideas and they did.

Thanks much all.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
silentrider said:
Were do you keep them frogs till you Need them? this bike has next to no room for cargo!Silentrider
They really are not that big... I have 2 of them as well as my insurance/registration (In a baggy) and a polishing cloth nicely tucked up under the seat.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've been in the rain with my UltraFlow air and haven't had any problems. As stated before the K&N filters are oil impregnated and have mesh over the outside. Rain hasn't been an issue. Cover them when I wash the bike to keep high pressure off them.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I've washed mine with a hose and then just blown it off with a leaf blower. Never have a problem with rain or washing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i have the bigairs on for a few weeks now, and since i live in Belgium (Europe) it rains more than often. ::)

so far i have had no trouble at all riding with the bigairs in the rain, and i mean RAIN no wussy drops but soaking the underwear kinda rain. :verymad:

of course i tend to drive carefully in the rain because i don't want my M going down, and me neither. :confused: so i don't hammer the gas.

when i clean the bike i do not use a hose, i clean it with a wet cloth, dry it with a leaf blower and then i wax it, so i don't soak the filters when i wash

them but i am sure if it stands the heavy rain, it will take a hose cleaning, without problems. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the big airs they are awsome I wash my bike with a HOSE AND THEY ARE JUST FINE going to wash it now and going for a cruise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts