M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on my week long vacation, riding through the mountains of Colorado, my bike just up and died on me...

Long story short the Crank Position Sensor is dead.
To anyone curious on the symptoms of this one... basically its as if someone pulled all 4 plug wires off of the bike all at once. (It just plain dies, and wont crank).

When you pull each of the plug wires and test for spark you will see none, and the bike will EVENTUALLY throw a C12 FI code. (takes about 3 to 5 seconds for the ECU to throw the code).

Anyway... looking at replacing it now and it appears, per the MicroFiche, that you have to replace the whole Stator @ $350...
Seems pretty damned stupid to have to replaced a perfectly functioning Stator for whats probably a $30 sensor....

Has any one else replaced a CKP, or does anyone know if in fact you have to replace the entire Stator assembly?

Thanks.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
Rich, I've not replaced one. But looking at the service manual and a couple parts fiches, it looks like it's only attached to the stator, or magneto, and not actually part of it. But I can't find it listed as a separate part for sale.

The first thing the manual mentions is checking it for metal fragments, plus it gives a host of continuity tests to make. Have you checked it for metal particles yet? If it works anything like the crank or cam position sensor on a car it doesn't take much metal on it to make it stop reading correctly.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Zoom... I haven't checked it for Metal Particles yet... but I did do continuity tests, per the service manual, which failed.... (reads infinite impedance, so its open)

So the CKP is definitely toast. I cant find a part number for the CKP Sensor, and all I see in the fiche is that it is part of the Stator Assembly.

Per the local shop you can't buy the sensor alone....

I am trying to find out what sensor Zuk used as I am fairly confident it is a common part among many vehicles... probably made by Denso...

Its a simple Cut and solder job if I can find the part...
I cant believe zuk didn't make this serviceable, like the gear position sensor is.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got about 50k miles on the bike itself... about 5k on this build of the Engine. (Never changed the Stator on the rebuild as it was fine).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts