M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this is a dum question but this is my first road bike and I have no idea how to install a Cigarette lighter on this bike. I wanted to install a cigarette lighter with 2 power ports. I did a search and know that this has already been done but if at all possible can someone post a pic of the connection to the battery and what will be needed?

I goggled the installation and came up with this.
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/cigarettelightersocketinstallation.html

do I need the relay, and is this spot on as far as the installation goes?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'll bet no relay was used for your front pocket install either! :tools: :a20:

I believe that a relay is just an internal switch. You can probably wire it without, but it will not have a second switch which could be a 2nd safety device for your electrical system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firecat said:
Ok I know this is a dum question but this is my first road bike and I have no idea how to install a Cigarette lighter on this bike. I wanted to install a cigarette lighter with 2 power ports. I did a search and know that this has already been done but if at all possible can someone post a pic of the connection to the battery and what will be needed?

I goggled the installation and came up with this.Â
http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/cigarettelightersocketinstallation.html

do I need the relay, and is this spot on as far as the installation goes?
why don't you add a powerlet and then a cigerette lighter type adapter?
1. good heated gear connection
2. cigarette adapter to air your tires conveniently and if you have to.. add a cancer lighter thingie to it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did think of a power let but, I only want the Cigarette lighter for an ipod and phone charger on a long trips and I'm trying to keep cost down (there is a super charger and thunder air kit on the way :D I need the low budget mod for none performance impacting parts) :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don;t have any pictures of it... but o nan old bike I had (old yamaha 650) I mad e alittle bracket and cut a hoel in it and stuck a cig lighter/power port adaptor on there.... as far as connections I just used a fuse and took it straight to the fuse box...(i.e. straight to battery power)
Dunno if this helps but...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try and follow the web site and also talk to the Harley shop since they do this stuff all the time and see what I can come up with :D.

·
Registered
40 Posts
you don't need a relay. you just need to buy a power adapter with a mounting bracket. about $8. Then then the wire that goes to the middle of the power adapter goes to the postive of the battery and the terminal that is on the side of the thing goes to the negative of the battery. I put mine up under the rear fender. If I knew how to post a pic I would show you a picture of where mine is at.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your help I'll post the finished outcome :), I wired everything through the bike over the weekend and did put some in-line fuses, tonight I just have to make everything look nice and I should be done :), red and black have to be wrapped and labled. (got everything at advanced auto for just under 10$)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I was very impressed with the placement of the 12 volt (ciggie) outlet. It looks factory to me and should be very useful. As for the GPS mount and wires. We discussed some chrome options and selective heat shrink useage. That should clean up everything and ward off any rust that always comes along on those metal parts that they just throw into the kits to get them out the door.

I'm still not sure where she is gonna mount the stun gun... :eek:

We did talk about it's effectiveness. Anyone want to be a test subject? I want to see the effects of when you get drop kicked in the balls and then have the family jewels zapped by 10 billion volts! Thrust me, that stun gun throws an arch further than my MIG welder! :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
someone just posted another location for a power outlet that I liked but, I put mine up behind the light so that the on-lookers can't see it, also It will give me to opportunity to run the any outlet connection under the consoled and out to the outlet. There seems to be space between the console and the tank to do this and it will keep the wire hidden all the way back to the power outlet. (I'm thinking of turning the consoled into a control panel facing the fount of the bike (ear phone jack, power outlet, and Ipod mount.) I'm just thinking of a way to make it all quick disconnect and figure out how to cut into it without causing damage to much damage, I'm thinking exacto knife and etching acid should get me started then once I get started I can cut into it without to many problems. Still working on the faceplate design but will post pic's when done. Still trying to come up with a design that will Hide everything away from the casual viewer and still be accessible when needed.

·
Registered
411 Posts
firecat said:
someone just posted another location for a power outlet that I liked but, I put mine up behind the light so that the on-lookers can't see it, also It will give me to opportunity to run the any outlet connection under the consoled and out to the outlet. There seems to be space between the console and the tank to do this and it will keep the wire hidden all the way back to the power outlet. (I'm thinking of turning the consoled into a control panel facing the fount of the bike (ear phone jack, power outlet, and Ipod mount.) I'm just thinking of a way to make it all quick disconnect and figure out how to cut into it without causing damage to much damage, I'm thinking exacto knife and etching acid should get me started then once I get started I can cut into it without to many problems. Still working on the faceplate design but will post pic's when done.  Still trying to come up with a design that will Hide everything away from the casual viewer and still be accessible when needed.
Firecat, good luck with finding the "right place" and still be easily accessable. That was the problem I had. As far as being seen when the bike is parked most people see the other side as mine is mounted on the left side (when I am sitting on the bike, when the kickstand is down the bike leans anyways and the cig. adapter don´t stick out like a sore thumb :D). I also bought an adapter that it would then be possible to run more then 1 thing if needed. ( i.e. Ipod + whatever) The main reason I even had it installed is because of having the Hellcat windshield I can use the Tom-Tom navigation that I also use in my car, and I can charge up my cell phone when I am gone for more then 3 days :bigthumbsup: (which I only need 2-3 times a year on long trips) There were a few other places that came in mind to put it but the frame would have been in the way :(

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Firecat,

I would think a sharp drill bit used in a cordless drill & used at a slow revolution would cut cleanly any sized hole you wish. :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts