M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the bike seems to be fixed now. We started the day by putting in the #10 plugs. While the air box was removed we cleaned the sensors attched to the box. Then I adjusted the idle. Next I unhooked the battery for about a half hour and unhooked the JSD-3M. I reloaded a new map on the power commander with one of JR's famous maps. The 109 was still running alittle rough smoking somewhat, so I decided to get some new gas since the light was flashing in my face. I left the gas station and headed for the highway. Getting on the highway I saw 2 harleys ahead so the only thing I knew to do was to mess with them. They both punched it, I downshifted 2 gears and never saw them again. The speedo said 130 and the bike felt really good. Since that run with new gas all of the idling promlems and smoke are gone. Next we hooked the JSD-3M back up and boy does that make a difference. The bike feels awsome again. Were still not sure what exactly fixed the bike, but we think it was idle related. :bigthumbsup: :hot:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Way to go! Take no prisoners. :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear that Chuck's bike is back from the dead!
I am glad that I've found a couple of VERY respectable fuel stations around here!
I always get good gas from them.
I also get good gas from certain foods...lol...but yeah...that was oversharing!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
toneout said:
How do you clean the sensors?Â
We just cleaned 2 sensors by wiping it down (The part that is inside the airbox).

I believe the problem seems to be idle related or for that matter the computer needs to relearn where the idle is??

There may be some sort of cascading events set up by the malajusted idle at startup & tricking the computer to do startup tasks.

1 Compression release at startup. That could be the source of the power drop off.
2 Primeing of the semi dry sump I feel is another event that occurs at startup. This could lead to excessive pressure in the vent tube & cause more oil mist & smoke to be emitted that normal. Dont forget, when your crankcase is overfilled guess which air cleaner it comes out of? Yes the same one I had smoking!
3 Who knows what else came into play.

I can tell you this, it sure can mask its self into looking just like a mechanical problem. The only thing we did not see was oil in the combustion chamber/plugs... & no smoking out the exhaust.

I'm just darn glad it appears to be fixed.

Chuck

G

·
Chuck, your comments are reassuring. I feared the worst with mine but don't have it back yet. I was truely doubting what the shop said about the low idle and bad gas. I was ready to find another shop. I hope all is well and we don't have another worry like this one. I can't wait to get her back and fix 'er up. Got some riding to catch up on!

I still didn't understand about the oil misting out the left filter though.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Chuck said:
We just cleaned 2 sensors by wiping it down (The part that is inside the airbox).

I believe the problem seems to be idle related or for that matter the computer needs to relearn where the idle is??

There may be some sort of cascading events set up by the malajusted idle at startup & tricking the computer to do startup tasks.

1 Compression release at startup. That could be the source of the power drop off.
2 Primeing of the semi dry sump I feel is another event that occurs at startup. This could lead to excessive pressure in the vent tube & cause more oil mist & smoke to be emitted that normal. Dont forget, when your crankcase is overfilled guess which air cleaner it comes out of? Yes the same one I had smoking!
3 Who knows what else came into play.

I can tell you this, it sure can mask its self into looking just like a mechanical problem. The only thing we did not see was oil in the combustion chamber/plugs... & no smoking out the exhaust.

I'm just darn glad it appears to be fixed.

Chuck
I must give credit where credit is due.

JR told me to try cleaning the sensors and we discussed all the things my son & I did outlined above. I also used his recomended # 10 NGK spark plug as well.

I will now cancel my trip to the dealer and run my next test at the track to see if the MPH is down or up. That will tell me if I lost any horsepower.

Thanks JR for the support, comments & knowledge.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I forgot to let you know that one of my test runs set off a car alarm with the JR (With the Trunk twist) exhaust & my son did the same thing to another car on one of his runs. :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I believe the low compression found on the back cylinder was due to the compression release not being deactivated. I don't know how you do this, need to get a manual. I'm betting the front cylinder does not have the same mechanism (Compression release).

The bike feels too good for that low of compression. Of course I wont know for sure untill we make a few runs at Stl International Raceway.

I can tell you this, there is no smoke, the bike starts & runs & idles. There never has been any smoke out of the exhaust.

The power feels good. So good that I will cancel my date this Tuesday with the dealer.

I'm sure glad JR contacted me and got me started along these lines. My son & I thought why not give it a try. All it took was a little time & energy, what did we have to loose.

I gave you my theory on why it now works but have no ideal for sure. I must get a manual & do some reading.

Chuck

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Chuck said:
I believe the low compression found on the back cylinder was due to the compression release not being deactivated. I don't know how you do this, need to get a manual. I'm betting the front cylinder does not have the same mechanism (Compression release).

The bike feels too good for that low of compression. Of course I wont know for sure untill we make a few runs at Stl International Raceway.

I can tell you this, there is no smoke, the bike starts & runs & idles. There never has been any smoke out of the exhaust.

The power feels good. So good that I will cancel my date this Tuesday with the dealer.

I'm sure glad JR contacted me and got me started along these lines. My son & I thought why not give it a try. All it took was a little time & energy, what did we have to loose.

I gave you my theory on why it now works but have no ideal for sure. I must get a manual & do some reading.

Chuck
I am glad to hear that it wasn't caused by detonation as JR first thought. It sure sounded like a broken ring land. I'm going to put the JSD back in my bike and run 9's for plugs and then keep an eye on it. I can always go to the 10's later but if the 9's work then there will be less chance of fouling. I know Big Joe is going to do some dyno runs with a knock sensor to see if he's having any problems or not with the JSD. Hope you have many trouble free miles from here on out. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks Lamont,

I sure hope my troubles are behind me. It reeally acts like the old bike, just maybe quicker. I never got to test the JR exhaust short of sound. The PCIII should also perk it up a bit. I have one of JR's advances Drag Pack maps in it! :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Chuck

G

·
Well, it wasn't bad gas and low idle for mine. It stalled for the shop like I told them it would finally. They ran all the diagnostics they could and concluded the ECU was bad and have ordered another. My bike has not run in one month as of this Saturday. This sucks. I sure hope the ECU fixes it. I don't want to be stranded again. It won't happen a third time.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
actually Chuck both front and rear cylinders have the exact same setup for reducing compression at startup. they work off the exhaust camshafts and hold exhaust valves off their seat for reduced compression until the rpm builds up as the cylinders fire then they drop out and you get full compression. could be one of yours was acting up.

G

·
J R said:
I sure hope thats it buddy :bigthumbsup: I still dont understand all the smoke out the intake and the major crankcase pressurre coming and going :dontknow: Glad they figured it out :doorag:
There is a certain amount of sarcasm in my reply. My gut tells me they haven't fixed it, only masked the problem. I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yes, my son and I went to the track Wed night. The best we could muster that night was a 11.790 at 110.71. :dontknow:

The previous time we went to the track, we turned a best of 11.742 at 112.31. :clap2:

There was a pretty stiff head wind all night and everyone said that they were running off that night.

I guess it was inconclusive, we at least came close to our old times but I was hoping for lower times. :(

We will see another time. :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Chuck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts