M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone chromed out their hub of the drive shaft? Does anyone have the name, number or website for someone that will chrome the hub, every place i've checked said either they wouldn't do it or they would do it but won't guarantee it. I'm getting my wheels dipped now but am having a hard time with that hub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Mo Better
Should not be a problem . Did they explain why they would not dip it ? Liability maybe.
What is it costing you to have your rims chromed ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Barakus said:
I'm thinking maby its better to just polish the hub... If you dip it what happens to gearing on the inside?
The rear hub would have to be completely dismantled before it could be chrome plated. All the gears, seals etc. have to be removed. As you stated, polishing my provide a easier alternative. I believe the Suzuki C95 uses the same rear end as the 109 and that is polished and clearcoated from the factory.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, i think i'm going to just polish it. It's less of a headache. i'm also going to find out if it is the same as the C95's hub that already comes polished. The wheels are costing me 600 to be chromed. I don't have any pictures yet. Thanks guys for all your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Mo Better
I'm in the same dilemma. My local chrome and metal finish shop quoted 600 for the rear & 500 for the front to chrome .
275 each to have them Polished. He does nice work but hes way HIGH. I'm going to shop around a little more.
Polished is Beautiful just takes a little maintenance to keep them that way. It takes a real Pro to clear coat after there polished.
So be carefull there. I'm going to take my time do the home work and get the best results. My Red 1 ( All of our 109s ) are
Beautiful right out of the box !
You take care.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah thanks Red 1, i'm going to keep on shopping. Thats really the only thing these bikes are missing is chrome wheels. That really would of set these bikes off because they look good already. Good luck with yours.

Mo Better

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mo Better said:
Yeah thanks Red 1, i'm going to keep on shopping. Thats really the only thing these bikes are missing is chrome wheels. That really would of set these bikes off because they look good already. Good luck with yours.

Mo Better
UMM I think thoses huge Dino Limb size pipes/muffler have to go so you can see the rear wheel in the first place :confused:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
this and the swingarm might be a good place to try the new chrome spray paint.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
phaed said:
this and the swingarm might be a good place to try the new chrome spray paint.
NO! The chrome paint wont look like chrome and at best will look like pollished alluminum. Because you would be spraying a large area I wouldn't recommend it. I took mine off and pollished it and it is much easier to maintain that way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not going to spray paint them chrome. I already sent my rims out to be chromed and my hub out to be polished then clearcoated. Hopefully it will come out nice. Now i'm searching hor more horsepower. Any ideas?

Mo Better

·
Registered
331 Posts
hey i looked into chroming the rear hub and i talked to a wicked old time mach. that i use all the time and is awesome! but hes hooking me up with his chromer who has no problem doin this. my mach. said there is absolutely no problem with doin this the only thing you have to make sure that they use something to coat the inside of the hub so that no chrome ends up on the inside of the hub. :welcome:

good luck :joke:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks mladin04,

if my polished hub doesn't come out nice enough, then i will see if i can contact u and use your mechanic.

mo better

G

·
Mike at Gateway has done polishing and chroming for the VTX guys for a long time. I had used him once or twice and just had him chrome the BIGAIR kits when my regular chromer got way behind.

And I know he has chromed a lot of VTX drive units.

Gateway Xtreme Motorcycle

Edwardville IL 62025

314 503 9000
Speak to Mike aka "the Handler"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts