M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone chromed the body panel and front wheel fender screws? or where you can purchase chromed ones? or where i can purchase stock ones? there seems to be 6 on front wheel fender, 2 on the headlight and 4 on the body panels. any help would be appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Don't waste your money chroming those bolts. Put them in your drill and get a good metal polish and polish them right up. takes no time at all or you can color match them to your bike. I painted all mine black. Looks great and blends right into bike now.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never thought of that..seems like an easy enough solution. but wonder if its gonna give me the show of chrome i'm looking for(bling bling) and how often i would have to polish em.how does the paint hold up on em?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Polish holds up fine. I did my rotor bolts as well and they shine as good as chrome. Up keep is nothing but wax once and awhile. I painted my fender bolts so they would not stand out which IMHO, looks way better. Holds up great did a couple of coats of paint (color) and then a couple of coats of clear to protect them. Very easy job. I scuffed them up first with some 1000 grit paper.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I did all of mine on the hole bike. Fine steel wool, mothers alum polish and cordless drill about 2 min per bolt. Cheapest chrome you will ever get.:bigthumbsup:
Dam Guy

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I bought an extra set after getting the part numbers from the dealer's microfiche. Then I had California Plating chrome them. It's a detail that shouldn't be missed. Did the kickstand springs too. The bad thing is the dealer microfiche doesn't show all the bolts you need. I had my rotor bolts chromed and the rotors polished. Would you believe I still haven't installed them.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I did all of mine on the hole bike. Fine steel wool, mothers alum polish and cordless drill about 2 min per bolt. Cheapest chrome you will ever get.:bigthumbsup:
Dam Guy
Roger that bro. At 3-4 dollars a bolt it's not worth it to chrome them for the same effect as polish does on these items. Actually was told to do this by a chrome guy himself (Chip Simmons said save your money and do this)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I just polished mine.chuck them up on hand drill and spin them on very fine wet sand paper they look like chrome.

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Don't waste your money chroming those bolts. Put them in your drill and get a good metal polish and polish them right up. takes no time at all or you can color match them to your bike. I painted all mine black. Looks great and blends right into bike now.
That's what I did with mine and I agree it looks much better. I think it hides the fact that there are panels on the bike.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I took mine off and polished them on a buffer a couple years ago. Not sure what they are, but they do rust back over a bit over time. Especially the fender bolts for some reason. Easy to remove and repolish when needed though.

There's 21 exposed bolts in the panels and other points that can be removed and polished, not including rotor bolts, if anyone is interested. :D

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Dam Guy
:agree: i am working on mine a bit at a time on rainy days. :bigthumbsup:

I bought an extra set after getting the part numbers from the dealer's microfiche. Then I had California Plating chrome them. It's a detail that shouldn't be missed. Did the kickstand springs too. The bad thing is the dealer microfiche doesn't show all the bolts you need. I had my rotor bolts chromed and the rotors polished. Would you believe I still haven't installed them.
i can. :eek: it seems as if it has been over a year now. slap those things on. :doorag:

Roger that bro. At 3-4 dollars a bolt it's not worth it to chrome them for the same effect as polish does on these items. Actually was told to do this by a chrome guy himself (Chip Simmons said save your money and do this)
:bigthumbsup: that is who i heard it from first. good advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts