M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Suzuki, 714-572-1490, in regards to the spanner wrench and the guy stated that he would put me at the head of the list for the shaft cover.

That way, I will receive both at the same time.

Pretty cool.

G

·
I finally stopped calling the dealer and figured it will show up when it shows up. They have pushed the stuff back so many times, I'll just wait. ARRRRRGH

·
Registered
116 Posts
slowpoke387 said:
 I'll bet it's just two clamps on the back side, just like the heat shield install on most aftermarket exhaust.
You were close! Got mine today and installed. Just one hose clamp instead of 2. Just like putting a heat shield on a pipe.

G

·
Mine came in on Friday as well as the left side engine cover (still no engine guards). Chrome looks like good quality and the install was fairly straight forward, but it did not fit on the bike as cleanly as I was hoping. I put it on and off 3 times thinking I did something wrong. It just does not fit up againt the shaft as cleanly as you would think. I have a gap between the end of the shaft and the chrome. Each time I tried taking it off and putting it back on I got the same gap. Since you have to snap it on it really can only go on one way so I feel I am putting it on properly. We are only talking about a 1/16" but it bugs me.

Engine cover went on in about 5 minutes. Interesting little tidbit: 3 of the bolts holding that cover on are functional and 3 are just for show. Good thing because as I was looking at it I thought I was going to have to take off the Left forward controls to take that cover off. The bolts at 2:00, 6:00 and 10:00 are functional bolts and the other three are just for show. The ones that are just for show only screw into the plate, not the engine housing. You actually only take off the 3 that hold the plate onto the housing and then the whole plate comes off. Once that is removed, you take off the other three bolts, transfer them to the new plate and then intall the new plate onto the bike. Of the 4 options that were available from Suzuki I chose the ball milled chrome plate. Looks good and IMO it should have been chrome anyway instead of the cheap aluminum brushed finish anyway.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Bruno said:
Since you have to snap it on it really can only go on one way so I feel I am putting it on properly. We are only talking about a 1/16" but it bugs me.
Mine didn't really "snap" on. I actually put it over the drive shaft with the whole thing forward of where it will end up, then slid the cover rearward, over the differential bolts. Still, mine also has a slight gap (you can see the seam where the shaft meets the differential housing) but like you said it would look better if the cover stretched rearward about 1/8" more than it does.

You actually only take off the 3 that hold the plate onto the housing and then the whole plate comes off. Once that is removed, you take off the other three bolts, transfer them to the new plate and then intall the new plate onto the bike.
Yeah the bolts at 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 10 o'clock are the "real" bolts that hold the cover to the engine, The bolts at 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock are the dummies. I love this piece. I think it looks 1000% better than the ugly stock cover that Suzuki, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to chrome. :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts