M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a wreck at the VA meet and did this to my velocity pro heat shields. Other than that I think I have some very light scratches in the can.

Can a plating shop fix something like the scratches below in the heat shield?

Can you polish light scratches (not those in the picture out of chrome)?

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Once chrome is scratched the only thing you can do to fix it is have the piece re-chromed. You can polish blemishes out of aluminum but not chrome.

I think it looks great, bro.....proof that you ride that sucker! :doorag:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
X2. Unfortunately, Chrome is a plating process. Like BobbyMac said, you can sand down the burrs and scratches, but you can't shine it back up unless you get it redipped.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Jerry liquidpain repared my crome rear wheel that had rotated on the tire machine and left deep scratches and gouges afer jerry was done you can not find a sign that is was ever scratched

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,852 Posts
You can buff small swirls and scratches out of chrome using tripoli rouge on a spiral buff, the follow it with white rouge on a loose buff. But only the scratches that are in the upper surface of the chrome. If you can see copper below it or feel it with your fingernail it won't polish out.

I saw that scuff on your bike at the meet and I seriously doubt anyone can fix it. It's almost through the heat shield, so the best that could be done is to sand it down smooth and rechrome it. It would still show, but at least it would be shiny. I'd consider it a beauty mark and leave it alone. :D

If that is a removable heat shield, maybe you could get a replacement for it?

BTW, how is the hip healing up?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can buff small swirls and scratches out of chrome using tripoli rouge on a spiral buff, the follow it with white rouge on a loose buff. But only the scratches that are in the upper surface of the chrome. If you can see copper below it or feel it with your fingernail it won't polish out.

I saw that scuff on your bike at the meet and I seriously doubt anyone can fix it. It's almost through the heat shield, so the best that could be done is to sand it down smooth and rechrome it. It would still show, but at least it would be shiny. I'd consider it a beauty mark and leave it alone. :D

If that is a removable heat shield, maybe you could get a replacement for it?

BTW, how is the hip healing up?
Y, I touched base with liquidpain, he said he could fix, so I may live with it until winter and then send him just the shield.

My hip is getting better. Still lots of black and blue and some swelling, but not really painful. Definitely feeling better, had the itch to ride and went to start my other bike on Friday, but needed to charge the battery. Probably will be out riding other bike this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts