M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAN SOME ONE TELL ME, WHAT THE SPECIFICATIONS ARE, OF A GOOD CHROME-PLATING JOB. IN OTHER WORDS WHAT DOES ONE ASK FOR WHEN YOU GET A QUOTE. WHAT SHOULD BE INCLUDED ETC.
I HAVE HEARD IN THE PAST COMMENTS LIKE,..... "TRIPLE CHROMING" AND "HARDCHROMING" BUT WHEN IS A CHROMING JOB A GOOD CHROMING JOB.
I HAVE SEEN CHROMING JOBS WHERE THE BRASS IS STARTING TO SHINE THROUGH AFTER A WHILE.
HELP.......WHEN IT COMES TO THIS I AM A BABE IN THE WOODS. DON'T KNOW F......ALL ABOUT CHROMING.
KRATTO.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The polishing and prep are the most important. You may have seen chrome that has been exposed to heat and not the copper showing through. I beleive the process you want is hexavalent chroming.

·
Registered
696 Posts
kratto said:
CAN SOME ONE TELL ME, WHAT THE SPECIFICATIONS ARE, OF A GOOD CHROME-PLATING JOB. IN OTHER WORDS WHAT DOES ONE ASK FOR WHEN YOU GET A QUOTE. WHAT SHOULD BE INCLUDED ETC.
I HAVE HEARD IN THE PAST COMMENTS LIKE,..... "TRIPLE CHROMING" AND "HARDCHROMING" BUT WHEN IS A CHROMING JOB A GOOD CHROMING JOB.
I HAVE SEEN CHROMING JOBS WHERE THE BRASS IS STARTING TO SHINE THROUGH AFTER A WHILE.
HELP.......WHEN IT COMES TO THIS I AM A BABE IN THE WOODS. DON'T KNOW F......ALL ABOUT CHROMING.
KRATTO.
1st step on getting ANYTHING chromed on the internet... is to TURN OFF the cap lock key!!!!!... you are SHOUTING

G

·
ppridgen1 said:
triple chroming is not all three chrome layers, the first is prep and sand to get a good grip with soft copper ,then a good chromer will sand blend and adjust the surface as much as needed by repeating this process to get the smoothest finish possible in the end. Then they will hard copper the part,then nickle, then finally a minimal amount of chrome.....that's how the old timers did it and that's why a 1920's or 30's car bumper still has chrome on it...!!!!! :doorag: :super: :bigthumbsup:
Ok ppridgen1
after scrapping off my chrome from the head light it looks like paint (from your post) and the back hand grips are the proper chrome job (I went through the copper and didn't know what it was) now question.... on the plastic parts am I right is that just paint, if so then can I just sand blast and paint my old plastic parts with chrome paint?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
lostrider said:
Hey Kratto Why chrome? won't that be a mutilation of that so called perfect Suzuki you have already.....
POW! Bullseye!

Lostrider you have crystallized my thoughts exactly

Sledzep

·
Registered
665 Posts
lostrider said:
Hey Kratto  Why chrome? won't that be a mutilation of that so called perfect Suzuki you have already.....
+1 :bigthumbsup: :hot: :hot: :hot: :clap2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts