M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Weird how it's applied. It's sprayed on thick and layered wet. I wonder how it doesn't look runny. Pretty neat how that guy sprayed this piece and then immediately wiped it with a microfibre cloth.

Ya know... The chrome paint is just a portion of what they have made. That company is pretty impressive with their chemical compounds. Things like thermoreactive paint that changes color based on heat is pretty wicked.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
looks baddass

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i looked at the rest of their products. pretty much everything they do is amazing.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Don't get too excited about it. I spent 2 full days at House of Kolors with the main person in charge of their testing and developing. Alsa had their version first but they are very similar.

Here is the problem, the paint looks best without being cleared over. This is almost pure metal and can work great if you apply it right but once you clear it it nocks it down and it never really looks like chrome. At best it looks like polished aluminum.

There are some tricks that are used to make it look even better, such as spraying it on the inside of the test panels. This stuff has to be perfectly flat to really look good. Don't get me wrong we had some great results and I learned a lot after learning from them how to apply it and how to use it.

If you go in expecting it to look like good polished aluminum then you won't be disappointed but if you expect it to look like chrome you won't be happy. Once you clear over it, it will lose some of the punch. Still a great product but don't let someone over sell you on it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Weird how it's applied. It's sprayed on thick and layered wet. I wonder how it doesn't look runny. Pretty neat how that guy sprayed this piece and then immediately wiped it with a microfibre cloth.

Ya know... The chrome paint is just a portion of what they have made. That company is pretty impressive with their chemical compounds. Things like thermoreactive paint that changes color based on heat is pretty wicked.
Look at the video again, you don't spray it on wet or heavy. The person is holding the can back and misting it on. The mistake most painters make with this is they spray it heavy and wet. If you spray 2 maybe 3 light coats it will come out and you have to allow time for flashing. If you notice the video you will see it dry (you can watch the blotches fade away). It doesn't take long to dry but neigher do most base coats. This is really just like spraying metal and that is why you see them polishing it.

Like I said before if you could leave it in that state and never clear it, it would be great. The other trick is having the base done right. Did you notice that they are spraying over a black surface that is alreay very polished. You need to paint your part and sand and polish it like you would for the final finish. The longer it can sit and all the solvents escape the better. The tech manual says 1-2 days but a week or more is even better. You then use wax and grease remover and spray over the polished black surface. To the eye it looks like you are getting complete coverage but in reality you are leaving fine black spaces inbetween the chrome paint.

If you spray it very wet you end up with it motling and looking very bad. I will be using this on my vtx tank with the pop up gas cap in a few weeks.

You can by a 8 ounce ready to spray can of it for $45 and you use very little so it goes a long way.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like vtxoak said, the "sprayable chrome" is tricky to use, expensive, and has it's shortcomings.

I think a better option is ALSA Corp's "ghost chrome" which can be worked and massasged to have different metal looks. It acts more like a traditional basecoat, it's easier to apply, costs less, and looks more realistic.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
vtxoak said:
Look at the video again, you don't spray it on wet or heavy. The person is holding the can back and misting it on. The mistake most painters make with this is they spray it heavy and wet. If you spray 2 maybe 3 light coats it will come out and you have to allow time for flashing. If you notice the video you will see it dry (you can watch the blotches fade away). It doesn't take long to dry but neigher do most base coats. This is really just like spraying metal and that is why you see them polishing it.
Hey, I know you are familiar with this stuff and how it's applied, but I gotta wonder if we were watching the same video. The ones I watched showed a guy using 3 separate guns, and with the first two guns, you could literally see the liquid (or something with liquid-like properties) dripping like crazy off the bottom. Then, the third gun is what put the "chrome" stuff on. I'm pretty sure even it looked like it was dripping. There was absolutely no 'dry time' between coats, as he would put one gun down and immediately pick up another and start spraying. I know the spray coming out of the gun looked much heavier than a fine mist. I also remember seeing one where it showed a guy holding those sample pieces as he was spraying it. I remember that one looking like a much finer coating process. Anyway, their paints still impress me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
that I am aware of, neither ALSA or HOK's chrome paints are applied "wet"  :dontknow:  Actually, it's quite the opposite....

BTW, ALSA Corp's tech line/tech sheets are a JOKE....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
they are applied wet, if you watch the video, you'll see it. there's an explaination in text as well. it is a 3 stage process. 1) spray on some type of activator. 2) spray with distilled water. 3) spray the chrome. (then he smoothed it out with compressed air)

there was no waiting in between the steps, and everything was wet.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one that could clearly see liquid properties from the stuff dripping off the parts being painted. Definitely sprayed on heavier than normal paint.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i think the confusion is coming from the 2 different types of chrome paint. one's just like normal paint, the other requires the fancy process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts