M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get an idea of cost and parts needed to replace the drive hub for a chrome one ( most likely I will buy from Liquid Pain). How much am expecting to pay ( since I am not mechanically talented) to replace it and what kind of parts I will need to replace? :eek:

Thanks

Juan

·
Registered
221 Posts
hub

Sorry not to answer your question but for about 20.00n in sand paper and a little (well lot) of elbow grease you could just polish it and it looks like chrome, there are lots of posts on here how to do it. It was the very first mod I did and didn't have a clue how to do it but many on here helped me through emails and it came out beautiful and shiny, needless to say I've polished lots of parts since, I just finished my derby cover and am about to do the switch housings, that's about all I have left on the bike to polish. Think about it, you'll save a ton of money.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You are looking at $300 for parts and approx 1 to 2 hours labor to replace hub (depending who does it). So just a little under $500 should cover it. :p

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Sorry not to answer your question but for about 20.00n in sand paper and a little (well lot) of elbow grease you could just polish it and it looks like chrome, ........ you'll save a ton of money.
:agree: I did mine myself and it turned out great.

·
Registered
221 Posts
hub

And Bobby is one of the ones who helped me out a couple years back when i did mine, see it can be done. Never been a bragger but very well I'll take some pics and post bike in a day or two. Need to put it back together. Bobby, Zoom, papa, many others are great sources for mods!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry not to answer your question but for about 20.00n in sand paper and a little (well lot) of elbow grease you could just polish it and it looks like chrome, there are lots of posts on here how to do it. It was the very first mod I did and didn't have a clue how to do it but many on here helped me through emails and it came out beautiful and shiny, needless to say I've polished lots of parts since, I just finished my derby cover and am about to do the switch housings, that's about all I have left on the bike to polish. Think about it, you'll save a ton of money.
Not a bad idea

Same question: did you polish it on the bike?

·
Registered
231 Posts
sand paper

What grit sand paper do i need and does the hub need to come off the bike???? Don't need any other products or polisher or nothing....Thks for this great idea!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
You can leave the hub on the bike to polish it. I used paint stripper (2 coats) and then lightly sanded some of the imperfections out of the hub and then polished it. It took about an hour.

-Josh

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Here's some pics of another one I did:

Here's how I do most of my polishing:

First off, I used tape and towels to cover everything I did not want the stripper and dust to get on. I used the Klean Strip Aircraft Remover to stip the powder coat off the final drive.

This stuff works great. It was fast drying and not messy. I used fine steel wool to get off the "bubbled up" powder coat. It only takes a few minutes for the stripper to work. I had to use about 3or 4 apllications to get all the powder coat off. I then used soapy water to wash the drive and got ready for the next phase.

Next came the sanding. I did the 220 and 400 dry. In my opinion these are the most important steps in the process. Take your time and be very patient; take breaks if you need to. I probably sanded 1 or 1.5 hours just with these 2 grits. These sandings get all the machine marks, grooves, etc. out and prepare the surface for polishing.

I wet sanded with 600,800,1000, and 2000 grit paper. The finer the paper, the less time it takes to do the sanding. These 4 grits probably took 1 hour. By the time you get through with 1000 grit paper, the surface should look very uniform and kinda shiny on its on.

Also, I cleaned the surface with acetone between each change in sandpaper grit.

Next came the buffing. I used my air grinder with some buffing attachments for this process. First, I used the brown tripoli with the tight wound bonnet. I did 2 passes with this and after the second session the hub was really starting to shine up. Then I used the white rouge and a "looser bonnet". Finally, I hand polished a couple times using Mother's Billet polish. The final results are stunning and well worth the effort.

·
Registered
221 Posts
hub

Figured u wnat to save 500.00 for some thing else. i was a newbee when i did this I took it off the bike (that parts easy) and followed Booby instrucs. Now it took me a couple days I did it all by hand since i dont have a buffer but now some members have found much faster ways to polish, good luck. Oh putting it back on (hub) well that's another story, but it can be done!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
What periodic maintenance is there? Or did you guys clear coat it?
As long as you keep you bike clean, it'll last. I repolished mine after a year and a half, and it barely made a difference. Every once in a while, run a Mother's powerball over it, and it'll stay shiny.

-Josh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts