M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if any of you have tried this, but I bought some chrome car door edge guard stripping and stuck it on the bottom edge of my fuel tank on both sides. It looks really good and makes the tank look more finished than the bare edge.

You can also buy the stripping in gold and glossy black or chrome with a black edge. I'm sure it probably comes in other colors but I would think the chrome or black would go good with all the M109 colors. I bought it at Auto Zone for $2.99 for two pieces, enough to do both sides of the tank if you start it right at the rear bottom of the tank where the edge runs into the side covers. It's really a nice touch and covers that ugly bottom edge of the tank that Suzuki should have eliminated and made smooth.

EFE Z06

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you have any pic of the stripping around the tank I would like to see that before I do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
autozone has a 27" strip that fits perfect and i think it looks really good. i've done it to all my bikes

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Available at Pep Boy's this is the best product I've found for the tank seam. About $10.00 for a package, the molding is 3/8" X 18' and has commercial grade 3M double face tape applied to the back.

Clean your tank seam with some alcohol, pre-cut the molding to length and warm it with a hair dryer and it goes on like a dream.

G

·
bob109 said:
Available at Pep Boy's this is the best product I've found for the tank seam. About $10.00 for a package, the molding is 3/8" X 18' and has commercial grade 3M double face tape applied to the back.

Clean your tank seam with some alcohol, pre-cut the molding to length and warm it with a hair dryer and it goes on like a dream.

On the Silver it looks like it was suppose to be there.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Lamonster said:
Yep can cause ETTS (excessive tank trim syndrome) :eek: :yikes:

One does have to exercise "self control" when applying "plastic chrome" :bigthumbsup:.....some folks "loose it" and the end results is rather obvious :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bob109 said:

Bob,
Your pictures look like the molding you used is only stuck to the outside edge of the flange, is that what I see? The molding I used is more "U" shaped and completely covers the flange, all you see is a chrome edge all the way around.

If someone can give me instructions on how to post a picture, I'll be glad to post some.

EFE Z06

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The door edge moulding you used is U shaped and slips over the entire edge of of the tank. Your right about the molding I used. It's solid , half round and is applied to the outer face of the tank seam. I used the door edge guard , like you did, on my VTX. I switched to the wheel moulding, for my 109, because it had 3M tape.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bob109 said:
The door edge moulding you used is U shaped and slips over the entire edge of of the tank. Your right about the molding I used. It's solid , half round and is applied to the outer face of the tank seam. I used the door edge guard , like you did, on my VTX. I switched to the wheel moulding, for my 109, because it had 3M tape.
The "U" shaped molding I bought has a self sticking adhesive inside the "U" so when it is pushed on to any edge - it sticks for good! After taking my 109 up to 140 mph last Saturday, it appears the molding is on for good! (( ;

EFE M109

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
EFE M109 said:
The "U" shaped molding I bought has a self sticking adhesive inside the "U" so when it is pushed on to any edge -Â it sticks for good! After taking my 109 up to 140 mph last Saturday, it appears the molding is on for good! (( ;

EFE M109
:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts