M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT I think we got a good deal still.
After looking at my new gelcoated chin spoiler I noticed the scratches would not sand out.
From my layup experience I see the gelcoat has cracked most likely from pulling from the mould. It happens...
It is my opinion that after an expensive paint job these cracks will migrate through the paint soon and be an irritation.
I believe I have a good fix to prevent this heart break...I bought some Cyanoacrilate Glue (Xtra thin) and pulled open the crack a little. a tiny drip of this thin stuff will wick all throught the crack and harden in seconds bonding the gelcoat with an easy to sand plastic

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No. The "tweaking" wouldnt do that...I think
When I pulled parts from a mould sometimes a tight compound radius would stick needing a bit more pull and crack the green gelcoat if not careful. The parting agent might be too thin too. Thats just my experience

·
Registered
49 Posts
patch

to be safe i would put a glass patch behind to make sure of no stress. used to spot drill end of crack so it could not go any farther, nows the time to late after it's painted

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
IMO, I would request a replacement. Even at the group buy cost, it was still expensive. You should receive the quality you paid for.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine had a crack in it coming from the bolt hole. My paint man said it would come thru the paint and said he would have to sand it down a reglass it costing me money. So I called Low and Mean and they sent out a replacement. I haven't gotten it yet. Will come in this week, I hope this one is better.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine had a crack in it coming from the bolt hole. My paint man said it would come thru the paint and said he would have to sand it down a reglass it costing me money. So I called Low and Mean and they sent out a replacement. I haven't gotten it yet. Will come in this week, I hope this one is better.
HHMMMM... replacement?
Cool. I figured Gelcoat is not structural so a crack wont be anything but a cosmetic issue

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Hmmm, those of us who ordered chrome have not even got one yet, and you are getting a replacement? Whats up with that?

I sure hope they check them out for cracks before the "chrome" treatment. Vibration has a tendency to cause crackes to spread.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, those of us who ordered chrome have not even got one yet, and you are getting a replacement? Whats up with that?

I sure hope they check them out for cracks before the "chrome" treatment. Vibration has a tendency to cause crackes to spread.
I was wondering that myself about your chromed ones.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I bought a chrome chin from them 2 years ago when they first came out. It has held up pretty good. It did take about 6-8 weeks before I got it. I was told then that Low & Mean makes the chin and then sends it out to be chromed. It is then drop shipped from the chromer to the customer (you). So, if the chromer has other work as well as the current large order of chins from Low&Mean, then the process will take longer. Hopfully they still use the same chromer since mine came out very good and has held up well. Side note: I took mine off and am now having it painted. As for those who received chins with cracks and are undertaking your own repairs. I personally would not do that. Group buy or not, you paid for a product and should get what you paid for. Send it back and get a new one, instead of repairing it and then investing money in paint only to have the cracks come back when the repair does not hold up. Cracks are poor castings or materials not mixed properly causing them to fail.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a chrome chin from them 2 years ago when they first came out. It has held up pretty good. It did take about 6-8 weeks before I got it. I was told then that Low & Mean makes the chin and then sends it out to be chromed. It is then drop shipped from the chromer to the customer (you). So, if the chromer has other work as well as the current large order of chins from Low&Mean, then the process will take longer. Hopfully they still use the same chromer since mine came out very good and has held up well. Side note: I took mine off and am now having it painted. As for those who received chins with cracks and are undertaking your own repairs. I personally would not do that. Group buy or not, you paid for a product and should get what you paid for. Send it back and get a new one, instead of repairing it and then investing money in paint only to have the cracks come back when the repair does not hold up. Cracks are poor castings or materials not mixed properly causing them to fail.
So you didn't see any fine cracks? Good to hear.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey Bull, No, none at all. I have had the chin on for I guess close to 2 years now and it has held up really good to the various road debris that gets kicked up into it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts