M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with alot of folks either having the spoiler already or recently purchasing it on the group buy. My question is, what is everyone using to protect the paint/chrome on the spoiler to limit or reduce the wear and tear on it over the miles? I have read that BobbyMac uses a film and others may have used it as well. Could you please post links and pics of the material and where you purchased it so the rest of use can see the material, and protect our new spoilers. Thanks
Shane

·
Registered
947 Posts
I know the stuff is made to be "invisible" but I'm thinking it would take away alot of the shine if it was covering chrome :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I ordered a chrome one, and will not be using protection on it. If it gets beat up, so be it. It will more than likely be in a narrow band right in the center, about where the black piece is on the stocker, which I suspect is why Suzuki did that in the first place.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Why not use a chin guard?

:joke:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Bobby,
Is one shett big emough to do the whole spoiler or did you have to use 2?
I had Low and Mean leave the center portion of my spoiler in place...so my chin is all one solid piece. I put the vinly primarily in the center portion right behind the wheel and on the bottom of the spoiler too. I think the kit comes with 5 sheets....that's plenty.

You will probably have to cut multiple pieces to get it to fit everywhere you want. This stuff is pretty thick so it doesn't conform to the part like plastic wrap (Saran wrap) would.

The vinyl kit will come with some tracing paper which you can use to make templates for your protective pieces.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I know the stuff is made to be "invisible" but I'm thinking it would take away alot of the shine if it was covering chrome :dontknow:
FYI. The chrome really isn't chrome. It is a chrome paint. I made the mistake of using chrome polish on it before I installed it. The polish removed a bit of the luster. The fit of the product was not good either. I'm real picky about fit and finish. I have seen several installed on 9's and the fit was not good. Mine however looks good on the bike but I had to make a piece of metal to help keep the proper contour where the chin spoiler meets the radiator surround. I epoxyed it on the back side of the chin spoiler. Perhaps you guys are not as fussy as me. I feel these are way too much money for what you get in a chrome one. It does look bad a$$ though. If I had to do it again I would get the painted one and buy the paint and spray it out. I have about 5000 miles on mine and the chrome paint takes a beating. I would suggest before installing a chrome one to clear coat it with a good urethane paint. That will look better than the vinyl covering and will be seamless. Just wipe it down with denatured alcohol and spray on the clear. The solvents in the paint should bite on to the chrome paint. I would do a test spray on the bottom of the spoiler and check for any reactions. A couple light coats at first and let flash. Then a couple more and let flash, and then spray a wet coat. Any scratches or chips will most likely be in the clear coat. A good clear will be alot tougher than the chrome finish that comes on the spoiler. IMHO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts