M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the oil checking procedure for the 109 and have no problem getting a proper read. But for fun I began checking the oil with the engine cold. With the bike on it's side stand I remove the dipstick, wipe it and screw it back in. When I remove it again the level shows the same as when I check the oil according to Suzuki procedure.

Will this way work all the time or is this just a false reading that will always be the same even if the oil level is high or low when checked properly?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
That is not a reliable way to check the oil. Oil is not always gonna settle in that area when the bike cools. Just do it like Suzuki says. Don't you think if it were really that easy, they would have done it that way?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will continue to check the oil in the proper manner but for fun I'll also check it cold just to see if it continues to match.

·
Registered
898 Posts
red1951man said:
I will continue to check the oil in the proper manner but for fun I'll also check it cold just to see if it continues to match.Â
For what its worth I have been doing the same thing Redman...and I have been getting consistent readings also...if this continues for 6 months it could become the rule of thumb for me...but I do park in the garage on a completely level surface....I got to thinking maybe it just is'nt realiable if you park on a incline ... :dontknow:

khrome

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
khrome13 said:
For what its worth I have been doing the same thing Redman...and I have been getting consistent readings also...if this continues for 6 months it could become the rule of thumb for me...but I do park in the garage on a completely level surface....I got to thinking maybe it just is'nt realiable if you park on a incline ... :dontknow:

khrome
Well, this is all fine and dandy, but if there is no change in your actual oil level, you may not see a change in that six months. You need to see how the level appears when the oil is actually low or when it is actually high. See if it accurately goes down or up as oil level changes.

Now, a question for everyone... How often do you check your oil? Personally, I maybe check it once a week or so. Is this enough? I don't see why the oil level would change from ride to ride. I know it's not that hard to just ride it and then check it after the ride, but I guess I'm not that disciplined. Maybe if somebody could give me a valid reason to check the oil more I will.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Khrome13 , My bike is also parked on a level service. I really can't make any conclusion from that. Only time will tell if there is any validation to this. Next time I park I'll park on a slightly unleveled service and check the oil hot and then cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts