M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to save some bucks here (Kids are in college) - anyone try to paint their rims (black) using "good ol rustoluem" or anything similiar?

What kind of surface prep did you use? Use primer beforehand and a clear sealer when finished? How does the job look/last?

Would be pretty neat to get an acceptable paint job done for about $20 bucks and some labor - or is this just a crazy idea?

Suggestions and advice welcome - thanks 8)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
u gonna dismount your tires and remount for painting?
that'll cost ya bout 10 a tire each time. 40$ in all possibly

call/email around your local powder coater its cheaper than u think,
i got mine done for 125$ for both wheels and painted my hub with rust oleum appliance paint.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
While Rustoleum sticks to metal well, it's not as durable as powdercoating and the gloss is not consistent.

I would spend the extra money and have them powdercoated whatever color you want. You will be much happier with the finished product.

·
Radio Active Member
27,682 Posts
While Rustoleum sticks to metal well, it's not as durable as powdercoating and the gloss is not consistent.

I would spend the extra money and have them powdercoated whatever color you want. You will be much happier with the finished product.
:agree: Sometimes it is better to do it right the first time. You will spend a little more $$ up front vs more $$ down the road doing it again because you are not happy with it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
Since you're on a budget and may not want to have the tire dismounted so the rim can be coated, paint it. Go to a parts store and get a can of their Body Shop spray paint. It's larger than regular rattle cans and puts on more paint, so you can get better coverage without getting dry spots.

Powder coating is a different form of paint, not some miracle coating. It will outlast and outperform regular paint if it's properly applied and is the right resin, but it's still a different form of paint. If I had to chose between the two and time and money were no object, I'd probably do powder coating. But with little time and little money, paint works well too.

·
Registered
480 Posts
there have been numerous guys on here who have spray painted their rims with great results. You just have to be patient. Put on light coats. Multiple light coats add up to a better look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice!

Rationalizing that I can always have the rims professionally painted/powdercoated if I want to pry the money out of my wallet, I forged ahead with the spray paint.

Removed the tires and brake calipers. Left the tires on the rim and masked off everything I did not want painted

Established an anchor patter with some good surface prep, used primer, applied at least 6 thin coats of black gloss and finished with a couple layers of clear.

I'm not much of a painter but I took my time and made the most of my talent.

Gotta admit - the results are a 9 out of a 10. Even my wife conceeded that the project came out well. Love that black rim look.....

Consider this an endorsement to my fellow tightwads that this mod can be done cheaply with good results - the advice on thin coats was spot on and critical for a decent looking product. Thanks again and enjoy your bikes this summer! :a18:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Any pics?

·
Registered
367 Posts
good luck show pics wen your done

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
:congrats: on getting the wheels done and being happy with the results of your efforts. did you go flat black? :nopic:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 18614

Here is a photo that I believe you can enlarge (click on photo) - hope it comes through OK. I used glosss black paint (personal preference I guess - I like this over flat black)

Recieved a bunch of nice comments last night at the local tavern "bike night". Best compliment came from my wife - "will you paint my motorcycle rims black now?" :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
looks good. one of the best "value" mods out there. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts