M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who has asked me, as his mechanically inclined friend, to help him add some cheap HP and performance mods to his M109R. He has only added pipes and just bought a PCIII. I'm more of a Harley guy myself and suggested maybe good plug wires, plugs, high flow air cleaner, and things like that. Not sure that is as effective on a 109 as it is on a factory HD.

What do you guys do for performance that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
With pipes, intake and PC, you will see some serious gains.

For intakes, check out Ducks on this site. He will custom cut the stock covers so you can get more air in. Add the K&N filters inside of that and you have the cheapest high flow system you will find.

Also, run a search for intakes here and you will find everything you are aware of and some I am sure you will not be familiar with.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
With pipes, intake and PC, you will see some serious gains.

For intakes, check out Ducks on this site. He will custom cut the stock covers so you can get more air in. Add the K&N filters inside of that and you have the cheapest high flow system you will find.

Also, run a search for intakes here and you will find everything you are aware of and some I am sure you will not be familiar with.
:agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I usually take two spark plugs out and run the lowest octane gas in my 9. This keeps me from running off and leaving my friends on harleys.:joke:
As for your friend I would suggest some K&N air filters as it looks like he is already got some performance things.

·
Registered
264 Posts
:agree:I have gutted my pipes and have my aircleaners cut, k&n fiters going in monday and my gman industries bully pc is coming soon. These are the best HP mods to do, my plug wire are hotter than any aftermarket ones I can currently buy and the plugs are great. The one thing that makes my bike the fastest is that its white....white is the fastest.8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You are too kind.... let me officially state here and now, I'm a big fan of 109's and I know they would blow my 99 Fatboy away. In fact, I have been known to say I would buy one before I would buy another stock Harley. :bigthumbsup:

I have a few friends with 109's and they are REALLY growing on me.

I usually take two spark plugs out and run the lowest octane gas in my 9. This keeps me from running off and leaving my friends on harleys.:joke:
As for your friend I would suggest some K&N air filters as it looks like he is already got some performance things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can someone supply a link to the Ducks intakes mentioned above?

So, you guys are running the NGK plugs with good results? I sell Amsoil products and have access to NGK plugs through Amsoil.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
hit home in the top left of your screen.

Ducks is a site sponsor

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Where in MD?

You have quite a few members not too far away if you need a hand or want to see or hear anything you are considering.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I have a buddy who has asked me, as his mechanically inclined friend, to help him add some cheap HP and performance mods to his M109R. He has only added pipes and just bought a PCIII. I'm more of a Harley guy myself and suggested maybe good plug wires, plugs, high flow air cleaner, and things like that. Not sure that is as effective on a 109 as it is on a factory HD.

What do you guys do for performance that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Suggestions?

Thanks.
being that you are a harley guy and perhaps not very familiar with the 9, the cheapest mod i can suggest to increase HP is...........to just twist the throttle. while riding a 9, there is enough HP in a "twist of the wrist" to take out any HD. :joke:

but on a serious note, as others have suggested, be sure to check out the ducks mod to the stock air covers to increase the air flow. plug up the back of the stock air covers and drop some K&N's in there and you will see some gains. what kind of exhaust does he have?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Northern MD. Harford County, Bel Air area.
Well, I am not too far from you then. If you need anything, let me know

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
being that you are a harley guy and perhaps not very familiar with the 9, the cheapest mod i can suggest to increase HP is...........to just twist the throttle. while riding a 9, there is enough HP in a "twist of the wrist" to take out any HD. :joke:

but on a serious note, as others have suggested, be sure to check out the ducks mod to the stock air covers to increase the air flow. plug up the back of the stock air covers and drop some K&N's in there and you will see some gains. what kind of exhaust does he have?
He said he's running Street Kings 2 pipes.

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
Has your buddy joined the forum? Hope to see you guys on some rides. :bigthumbsup: Check out the bang for the bucks mod list in my signature.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has your buddy joined the forum? Hope to see you guys on some rides. :bigthumbsup: Check out the bang for the bucks mod list in my signature.
Thanks. I did send him the link to the forums, but I don't think he's big on computer stuff.

I have already looked at your mods link. Very helpful stuff there. Thanks for putting the list together.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plugs and wires

Has anyone seen any performance gains from upgraded plugs and wires?

How about head work?

I finally discovered what my buddy wants the extra power for......

It's to beat his friends with 109's! He wants to have the fastest one. :bigthumbsup:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Has anyone seen any performance gains from upgraded plugs and wires?

How about head work?

I finally discovered what my buddy wants the extra power for......

It's to beat his friends with 109's! He wants to have the fastest one. :bigthumbsup:
plugs and wire don't do anything that i know of. The stock ones are fine.
What kind of crap do they put in harleys to make you think that would give you gains?

Headwork you can do but give up on being the fastest. there have been people pushing high 200hp before but it takes a LOT to get there

1 - 20 of 36 Posts