M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 m109r boss California model and I want to delete the charcoal canister so I can install a air ride. I need some help

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,049 Posts
You also have an unvented gas cap on that model, so you need to replace it with an earlier model vented cap. Once you do that you should be able to just remove the canister and cap the lines. If there is a solenoid in it, leave it connected so it doesn't set an FI light.

The reason you need the vented cap is once you cap the lines, the tank can't relieve pressure or vacuum in the tank. If you park it when the tank is hot and it then cools significantly, it can create enough vacuum in the tank to collapse it. Back a few years ago a supplier sold a replacement cap that wasn't vented and some owners of older models had their tanks collapse.

Welcome to the forum too. 🙋‍♂️

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,887 Posts
Welcome! Zoom has the details covered, so I will just add some minor commentary.

• I would check ebay for used gas caps. That will likely be your least expensive option.
  • You can find vaccum line caps at your local auto parts store.
  • The gas cap itself is separate from the locking cover. I don't see it sold separately, but I think you might be able to swap out the lock assembly so you don't need separate keys or don't have to have a locksmith re-key it to match your existing key.
  • Oneida Suzuki, online, has good prices. The link, above, takes you to gas caps.
  • EDIT: Take a look at the following thread. According to that thread, you may also need to adjust the float arm for the gas gauge. Gas cap venting question and fuel sender issue...HELP!
Let us know how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts