M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed when they changed their turn signals that the flashing rate changed. Mine are flashing faster, though the hazards are the normal rate. Is there a fix for this. I am using led turn indicators.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
you need some sort of resistor or something. I read about it in one of the threads.
Also if you look through your j&p catalog or whatever you may have they usually mention it on the
page with the led lights

·
Registered
107 Posts
The amount of resistance does make a difference in the drain timing of a capacitor.   Since the LEDs have very low resistance you will need to match incadescent resistace to the circuit.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am electronically challenged so I hope this isn't a dumb question but do you need one of these resistor kits for each LED light that is on a seperate circuit?

I am really interested in doing the stealth turn signal modification, it would be cool if you could just provide like a kit with everything you need. Red or Amber as the only options. Even provide the little connectors so the fender can be removed like someone did with molex connectors I read about.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i ordered the load equalizer last night, along with some more goodies. i also have the stealth turn signal mod. i noticed there were 2 amp and 4 amp versions. I ordered the 2 amp. i'm also not sure if you need 2 to cover both front and rear, or if 1 will cover the whole circuit. i know that 1 load eq will do both left and right, so that's not the issue. i'll let you know how it works out when i get it installed.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
has anyone looked at the stock flasher? I have not received my service manual yet so I do not know where the flasher is but if it is of standard configuration like most autos then all we need is an electronic flasher to replace the mechanical one. the mechanical flashers rely on the load for flash rate while the electronic ones will flash at a steady speed no matter the load. you will have to explain what you want at auto zone but they have them for like $12 which is cheaper than any load equalizer. I know the brand of one is Buss. I only owned one bike where this did not work and it was my 03' Sabre I traded for the M109 and Honda saw fit to put an odd ball 3 pin flasher on it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
steve j said:
has anyone looked at the stock flasher? I have not received my service manual yet so I do not know where the flasher is but if it is of standard configuration like most autos then all we need is an electronic flasher to replace the mechanical one. the mechanical flashers rely on the load for flash rate while the electronic ones will flash at a steady speed no matter the load. you will have to explain what you want at auto zone but they have them for like $12 which is cheaper than any load equalizer. I know the brand of one is Buss. I only owned one bike where this did not work and it was my 03' Sabre I traded for the M109 and Honda saw fit to put an odd ball 3 pin flasher on it. :bigthumbsup:
I "think" its under the seat...
and I believe someone else has posted that this could be done also but I am not sure it has actually been tried yet.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I have the load equalizer but haven't put it on yet, after seeing Hal's bike in the rain and following him around I really don't see any reason to slow the flash down. As it is now it really get's your attention when you hit the flashers.

By the way the first turnsignals I used were junk. They pulled out of the rubber boot and I had to replace them for Hal at Americade. These are the ones he went with and they look better than I thought they would on the bike and they are really bright. :doorag:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
steve j said:
You need a Kisan Signal Minder. Great device. Not only does it regulate your turn signal flash rate, but allows you to have rear running lights and it will also cancel your turn signal for you in case you forget to turn them off yourself. ::)
I had one on my VTX 1800 and loved it. They are about $100.

·
Registered
91 Posts
M109Rider said:
You need a Kisan Signal Minder. Great device. Not only does it regulate your turn signal flash rate, but allows you to have rear running lights and it will also cancel your turn signal for you in case you forget to turn them off yourself. ::)
I had one on my VTX 1800 and loved it. They are about $100.
Rider
My stuff for the stealth signal mod should be here anyday and this sounds like a great addition. I looked on customdynamics.com but did not see which one is used for our bike. Do you or anyone else know? Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts