M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the reason, when changing oil you add it twice? I added all my oil at once, when I removed the funnel the oil was visible in the filler hole. Im hoping that this will be ok? IS it? I was just wondering the reason behind adding it in two steps. My m109 is my life. I checked the oil level and its fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The engine has two oil chambers and it takes a few minutes to fill both and get an accurate reading. If you put more than 3.6 quarts in it will leak out the left air filter.

Joe

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Yea if oil pukes out of your left air box, you have to much oil in! However I've never heard of adding it twice:dontknow: But there are 2 drain plugs, that need to pulled to get all the old oil out! But like you said, you check your oil often, and if you put to much oil in, it will end up on your left boot and pant leg:eek:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
If you put more than 3.6 quarts in it will leak out the left air filter.
Not true. I put 3.8 qts in every time I change my oil and I've never had a puking issue. To the OP, when changing the oil and filter, you need to put in 3 qts, then start the engine to fill the filter with oil, then put in the remaining .8 qts. If you try to put in all 3.8 qts without starting the engine, oil will overflow at the fill hole before you get it all in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not true. I put 3.8 qts in every time I change my oil and I've never had a puking issue. To the OP, when changing the oil and filter, you need to put in 3 qts, then start the engine to fill the filter with oil, then put in the remaining .8 qts. If you try to put in all 3.8 qts without starting the engine, oil will overflow at the fill hole before you get it all in.
Grampi, do you measure the oil you removed from the bike, before you refill?
I, like most of us, will closely watch all posts on this issue due to the left intake puke. I will be starting the process with a new bike come spring time. I am going to talk to the dealer mechanic about what directions he gets on the initial oil fill from right out of the box. From that point on, warranty or not, I will be doing my own oil changes. I intend on being very precise with measuring oil removed, and then adding only that amount back into my machine.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Grampi, do you measure the oil you removed from the bike, before you refill?
I, like most of us, will closely watch all posts on this issue due to the left intake puke. I will be starting the process with a new bike come spring time. I am going to talk to the dealer mechanic about what directions he gets on the initial oil fill from right out of the box. From that point on, warranty or not, I will be doing my own oil changes. I intend on being very precise with measuring oil removed, and then adding only that amount back into my machine.
Determining how much oil to put in based on how much you drained out is the wrong method to use. What if the bike is overfilled or underfilled from the factory, which is completely possible? The manual calls for 3.8 qts when changing the oil and the filter. The person I purchased my 9 from always put in 3.8 qts when changing the oil and filter and his level was always right in the middle of the hash marked area on the dipstick, and he never had any puking issues. I have always put in 3.8 qts when changing the oil and filter, and the level is always smack in the middle of the hash marks, and I've never had any puking issues. I just can't see totally disregarding the amount the manual says to refill in favor of replacing the amount drained out. I would say the amount called for by the manual is more accurate than the amount you will drain....

·
Registered
534 Posts
I see your point. I was always worried that even though 3.8 liters is the correct amount, that the nooks and crannies of the big engine would retain some of that. I figured that if I could start with the right amount and always measure....that I could never go wrong.
Your point of view, would be how can I assure that I am starting with the correct amount unless I'm the one putting in the first amount, not the factory?

Some much info for my little brain.???

·
Registered
639 Posts
The key is to measure every quart of oil going in. I've said this before but it is worth repeating. Not every quart is filled equally. As a matter of fact, almost every quart I've used was overfilled by an ounce plus. Now that doesn't sound like much but on a bike that is so peculiar with oil levels, it adds up. If you are straight dumping then chances are you are overfilling every time.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I see your point. I was always worried that even though 3.8 liters is the correct amount, that the nooks and crannies of the big engine would retain some of that. I figured that if I could start with the right amount and always measure....that I could never go wrong.
Your point of view, would be how can I assure that I am starting with the correct amount unless I'm the one putting in the first amount, not the factory?

Some much info for my little brain.???
If there is a portion of oil that's staying in the nooks and crannies after draining, then that amount plus the amount I put in must be the correct amount as my level has always come out right in the middle of the hash marks on the dipstick AND I've never had any puking issues. I have absolutely no reason to use, or recommend any other method.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The key is to measure every quart of oil going in. I've said this before but it is worth repeating. Not every quart is filled equally. As a matter of fact, almost every quart I've used was overfilled by an ounce plus. Now that doesn't sound like much but on a bike that is so peculiar with oil levels, it adds up. If you are straight dumping then chances are you are overfilling every time.
I never measure the amount going in and I've never had an issue with over or underfilling. I assume if it were either, it should read as such on the dipstick....

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I've only changed my oil once since my bike is pretty new. I was careful adding after the third full quart. I ended up with 400 ml left in my fourth bottle when I was done which by the label means I added 3384 ml. The sticker by the oil filler cap says 3400 ml. I guess it's pretty accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
3400 ml is without a filter change. You need 3600 with a new filter. Thats 3.8 US qts....I think that is what Grampi is referring to his 3.8...qts not liters.

I think we could debate this for a long time, as I don't think you are giving in...are ya Grampi:D.
I still feel that the bike retains a certain amount...and how good you are at moving the bike around to get out every last drop has to have some bearing on what should be put back in...IMHO. I mean, look at the lowered bikes...angled backwards....maybe pooling some oil towards the rear instead of directly over the drain plugs.
Come on Grampi...are you moving on your opinion at all..:joke:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Grampi,

"I just can't see totally disregarding the amount the manual says to refill in favor of replacing the amount drained out. I would say the amount called for by the manual is more accurate than the amount you will drain.... " Thats your quote.

So, if your method is always correct, you should be pulling out exactly 3.8 qts everytime. Otherwise you would be at an over or under fill.
That being said, you should then be able to accurately measure what comes out, and replace it with that amount...say, 3.8qts?

This debate could go on and on. I think its the dealer that would typically overfill, due to maybe only 1 drain plug being utilized...and his 'care' factor.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Grampi,

"I just can't see totally disregarding the amount the manual says to refill in favor of replacing the amount drained out. I would say the amount called for by the manual is more accurate than the amount you will drain.... " Thats your quote.

So, if your method is always correct, you should be pulling out exactly 3.8 qts everytime. Otherwise you would be at an over or under fill.
That being said, you should then be able to accurately measure what comes out, and replace it with that amount...say, 3.8qts?

This debate could go on and on. I think its the dealer that would typically overfill, due to maybe only 1 drain plug being utilized...and his 'care' factor.
It's your bike, and you should do it which ever way makes you feel the most comfortable. I told you the way I do it because it's never given me any issues. Do you not trust the dipstick? My method puts the oil level right in the middle of the hash marks EVERY TIME. It doesn't get any more accurate than that.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
What is the reason, when changing oil you add it twice? I added all my oil at once, when I removed the funnel the oil was visible in the filler hole. Im hoping that this will be ok? IS it? I was just wondering the reason behind adding it in two steps. My m109 is my life. I checked the oil level and its fine.
If you got it all in one shot you're good to go.

The confusion about adding twice is related to whether you're filling the bike while level on a jack or on the sidestand. If your bike is level, all the oil will always go in. If it's on the sidestand (and your bike is not lowered), you'll either have to do it in two rounds or add the oil very slowly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oil

OK I see what you guys mean. When I did fill it and pulled out the funnel the oil was full to the top rim. I started the bike let it idle and then I checked it , it was all good. I measured the quarts om mobile 1 and they were precise. I put 3 quarts and the fourth 600 ML. i have 200 ml left in the bottle so that should be about right. No oil pukes so far. Thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts