M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I imported my M1800R (commonly called the M109R) from the US. I must convert the headlight to comply with UK standards. Does anyone know where I can find a UK headlight for my motorbike?

Regards,

·
Registered
299 Posts
Headlight.

GW.Pretty sure all you have to change is the globe.Was thinking of importing a bike from the US some time back(bought the 9 instead)so I checked with our DMV here in Adelaide,and they told me that all was required was for the globe to be changed because the light dips to the left(in RHD countries),whereas in the US the light dips to the right.Check with your motor vehicle body to be sure.Hope this helps. KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Headlight in the US does not dip either way. The headlight only has a up/down adjustment and no left/right. IMO the beam is very centered and can not be altered. I would look to see online if there is a part # change. Not aware of any change.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I think Iight have a headlight kicking
about in my parts bin, £50 would buy it
cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Headlight in the US does not dip either way. The headlight only has a up/down adjustment and no left/right. IMO the beam is very centered and can not be altered. I would look to see online if there is a part # change. Not aware of any change.
Hello FuturR, UK law requires all motorbikes to have a clear running light "center" on the vehicle. Basically, you must have an alternate light which illuminates if the headlight fails. This can be a 5 watt clear running light. Apparently, the UK Intruders have two lightbulbs in the headlight assembly. One bulb is the low/high beam and the other is the running light. So, I can either fabricate a clear running light or replace the existing headlight housing with a Suzuki Intruder housing, which will hopefully have the extra bulb. Regards

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you can't find the exact one you want, you could try a R2 light. The R2 headlights in the US come standard with a marker light just below the headlight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is your bike stock? I thought about bringing a modded M109r from the US to the UK once but thought it might be too much hassle with exhaust and breather mods, air ride etc.

What troubles did you have if any?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is your bike stock? I thought about bringing a modded M109r from the US to the UK once but thought it might be too much hassle with exhaust and breather mods, air ride etc.

What troubles did you have if any?
Yes, my M109R is stock. I imported the motorbike when I returned from the US. I am preparing the motorbike for UK registration and it must pass the Motorbike Single Vehicle Assessment MSVA. Additionally, the motorbike must pass a MOT. The process is quite straight forward if the motorbike conforms to the VOSA requirements.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It would be great if you could keep me updated on how it all goes mate.

What would happen if your bike had a lot of mods? Say air ride, exhaust, maybe a 300 rear. Could it be done then?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks mates for the advice. I discovered the US headlight has a blank plate for the side light. After some careful drilling I was able to mount a side light from an old Astra.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Big Tav, If you need advice on importing a motorbike to the UK, contact Chris Corker at the VOSA office 4401489786162. He will advise you on all the requirements for registering a US motorbike in the UK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts