M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is a dumb question but do you have to remove the fuel tank to change the coolant?The manual says you have to.
I have the tank off to change the spark plugs at the moment and I am going to change the coolant as well.
The manual says to bleed it by running the engine until warm so do i put the tank on again then run it up then remove and put the plastics back on or what?
This is the first time I have taken the tank off and i am now doing my own servicing so sorry for the dumb **** question!:redfaced:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
##Coolant Change##

I have also posted this in the tech section but i will duplicate it here as well:-X
Apologies if this is a dumb question but do you have to remove the fuel tank to change the coolant?The manual says you have to.
I have the tank off to change the spark plugs at the moment and I am going to change the coolant as well.
The manual says to bleed it by running the engine until warm so do i put the tank on again then run it up then remove and put the plastics back on or what?
This is the first time I have taken the tank off and i am now doing my own servicing so sorry for the dumb **** question!:redfaced:

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
If you just slide it back you can get to the bolts for the upper neck covers and the radiator shroud. I changed mine last year and it was not that hard. I would also pull the coolant over flow tank and clean it out at the same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chrome,

I did this service a few weeks back and I ended up pulling the tank just to have more room when pulling off the plastic radiator shrouds. I didn't want to wrestle with the shrouds and accidentally bump the tank or scratch it while manipulating the pieces of plastic. Also if you haven't picked up any coolant yet, I went with Engine Ice which seems to be one of the the better brands, but you'll need just over one bottle to get the job done.

Calypso_Kid

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I used a fuel feeder and did everything with the tank off. If your gonna change your coolant I would flush it also. Go get a fresh and clean 5 gallon bucket and head to your grocery store and buy a gallon bottle of distilled white vinegar and about 3-4 gallons of distilled water. Dump the distilled white vinegar and a gallon of the distilled water into the bucket and mix it up real good. Fill the radiator up with the mixed vinegar and water, poor in it slowly, dont let it "kiss" if you know what I mean. Once its filled to the top, shake the bike to the left and right, this gets the air bubbles out. Put the cap back on and fill up the reservoir tank all the way to the top with the mixed vinegar and water. Put the cap back on the reservoir tank and take the overflow hose and unplug the supply hose from the bottom. Put the over flow hose in your mouth and blow really hard and push the water out. Put everything back together and fill up the reservoir tank with the mix to the full line. Unplug the fan which is right by the reservoir tank, start the bike up and let it run. Key an eye on the reservoir tank and when the mix gets to right about the top of the tank, right before the overflow hose, turn the bike off. When it comes back down to the full mark, drain it all out. It will be hot so wear gloves or something. after its all drain put everything back together and do it again with the mix but dont run the bike. After you do it the 2nd time with the mix, start using just the distilled water. Keep running the water through it till the water is clean coming out.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you just slide it back you can get to the bolts for the upper neck covers and the radiator shroud. I changed mine last year and it was not that hard. I would also pull the coolant over flow tank and clean it out at the same time.
:agree::agree::agree:I just did a coolant change

·
Registered
735 Posts
I used a fuel feeder and did everything with the tank off. If your gonna change your coolant I would flush it also. Go get a fresh and clean 5 gallon bucket and head to your grocery store and buy a gallon bottle of distilled white vinegar and about 3-4 gallons of distilled water. Dump the distilled white vinegar and a gallon of the distilled water into the bucket and mix it up real good. Fill the radiator up with the mixed vinegar and water, poor in it slowly, dont let it "kiss" if you know what I mean. Once its filled to the top, shake the bike to the left and right, this gets the air bubbles out. Put the cap back on and fill up the reservoir tank all the way to the top with the mixed vinegar and water. Put the cap back on the reservoir tank and take the overflow hose and unplug the supply hose from the bottom. Put the over flow hose in your mouth and blow really hard and push the water out. Put everything back together and fill up the reservoir tank with the mix to the full line. Unplug the fan which is right by the reservoir tank, start the bike up and let it run. Key an eye on the reservoir tank and when the mix gets to right about the top of the tank, right before the overflow hose, turn the bike off. When it comes back down to the full mark, drain it all out. It will be hot so wear gloves or something. after its all drain put everything back together and do it again with the mix but dont run the bike. After you do it the 2nd time with the mix, start using just the distilled water. Keep running the water through it till the water is clean coming out.
never done it quite like that but I will have to give it a go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help guys I pulled the tank in the end and ended up doing the coolant,brake fluids, and spark plugs while I was there.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
Thanks for your help guys I pulled the tank in the end and ended up doing the coolant,brake fluids, and spark plugs while I was there.
If your bike has some good millage on it, you may want to change the fuel filter also for maintenance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bike just turned 2 years old last month and has 9050 miles on it. Next service is at 10,000 and I will change coolant then. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
If your bike has some good millage on it, you may want to change the fuel filter also for maintenance.
Good info. My bike was not giving me any problems but I had coolant, brake fluids, rear brake pads and spark plugs changed along with suggested fuel filter. Glad I did, the fuel filter was black and needed changing and would have soon given me problems. Bike was just over 2 years and had 10,000 miles on it. Only problem is that the coolant level is about 1/4 above the add mark when cold and mid-way between the marks when hot. Seems that they should have topped it off. Thanks Bruce

1 - 19 of 19 Posts