M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long, long time ago.....1980 when I last rode a GS750 and only for a couple of years....to the present and my Black BEAST..
what are your impressions of what's changed the most about motorcycles in general??
(not counting the Internet and the ability to have open forums like this) Black in the saddle again!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
before last year my previous bikes where all 1970's era. I can remember the front end getting squirly. pushing horribly in corners, fork flex on bumpy surfaces. The rear suspension being so crappy that tire would come off the ground over a little road chop and kick out sideways. There are so many old fears ingrained into my skull that it is taking a while for my reflexes to realise that this bike isn't trying to kill me like the old ones.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I've owned a few quick older bikes, 73' Z1 900, 75' H2 750 (3 cylinder 2 stroke) so It is not so much the power that seems to have changed as it is the brakes/suspension. Newer machines do all they do in a nice stable safe manner.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The refinements to all bikes is amazing when you look at some of the older classics! Can you imagine having the 109 with the fat a$$ rear skin ten or fifteen years ago. It turns heads today.....people would have really freaked out back then :) :) :) :)

Like auto racing and cars being the benefactor of a lot of racing technology, the same apply to modern bikes. From sports to cruisers the overall improvements have been dramatic both in appearance and performance. We are all enjoying the benefits of good R&D and metric reliability. No pun intended for the HD crowd....they do have the V-Rod :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
actually bad109 fuel injected bikes go back 25 years. some production Kawasaki's had it in 81'. Problem was then they were slower than their carb'd counterparts. Now days they perform on par with carb'd bikes not necessarily better but the comeback was not about performance or convenience (you not knowing how much choke to use cold) but about emissions. there are still a lot of complaints about injected bikes having abrupt throttle response compared to carb'd bikes and it took BMW a while to get their boxer twins refined so that they did not have surging problems going down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts