M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at 1400 miles, I did my first service at 600 with regular dino oil and it was fine until now. I decided to change it at 1400 with the mobil 1 racing 10w-40 and now it shifts like total crap. I keep missing 2nd and hitting neutral and sometimes have to jam it into gear, i'm really fixin to dump this "good" oil and go back to old dino oil

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
What weight was the old oil?

I run 20w-50 and have in most bikes. They shift better and seem to run better.

I am wondering if you were running 20w-50 and now feel the 10w-40

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Just throwing this out there. You are running Mobile 1 10w-40 4t motorcycle oil right?

Other thing I would do is make sure your clutch cable has plenty of free play in it.

I run the Mobile 1 10w-40 4T and it was a huge difference on how easy it shifted.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just throwing this out there. You are running Mobile 1 10w-40 4t motorcycle oil right?

Other thing I would do is make sure your clutch cable has plenty of free play in it.

I run the Mobile 1 10w-40 4T and it was a huge difference on how easy it shifted.
Yeah that was my first reaction, the Mobile 1 made for V-Twins?

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Have you installed the shift kit yet? I think it works really well. I have been running Mobil 1 4T 10w40 for a couple of years now with no issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll see if i can double check but im pretty positive it was the mobile 1 for v-twin. Its not hte cable cause i noticed a bad difference the second I changed the oil, it wasn't like after mileage, it was instant change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok looked today and i did use the 4t. But its says it's for wet clutches so shoudn't it be fine to leave in there?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
The 4T is made for motorcycles with wet clutches so you are good there, but have you had a big difference in temperature in your area? When the weather gets warmer 20-50 might be what you need. Also you could try to pull your clutch in while warming your bike and lean it safely to the left to ensure that your clutch plates are properly soaked before you take off to ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts