M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
After reading JR's post concerning the internal diameter of the Muffler in JR's exhaust mod I went and measured the one I had put on.
It only measured 2.128" and explained why I didn't seem to pick up any extra power.
Well, I ordered a new muffler from tenzo with an internal dia. of 2.497" and holy gofast batman :yikes: what a difference. I can now see what all the uproar was about.
The only problem now is my f1 light is on. So, I have a couple of questions;

1. I left the SET in place however, when I removed the black control box I think I may have screwed it up because while I was pulling on the cables I heard some clicking from inside the box. I pretty sure this is the cause of my problems as I did check my conections twice.

2. Has anyone had that box apart? I'm thinking I will try surgery on it to see if I can find the problem. Any caveats, warning, etc?

Thank for any help you all can offer.

Sean

·
Registered
775 Posts
from what i've come to understand about it , is that it's basicly a plunger switch. the click might had been the little catch in their that keeps it from moving too far. i would see how much replacing it would cost. can't be too much.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I know it's ( the box I assume) is in the closed position.
I did what you said and the spindle can be easily held from spining with my fingers is this a good thin?
ALso the f1 light did not go out probably an error on my part.
Thanks for the help :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
be carefull when you open the box. There are 2 plastic gears in side. 1 might be stripped. This happen to me after i went threw a construction zone and a small stone got caught in the cam gear that came with the cobra exhaust. When the cam moved when i got on the gas it stripped the large gear. i went and found the thread in the tech section and found the wire from the computer and disconnected it and no more fi light.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
parider said:
be carefull when you open the box. There are 2 plastic gears in side. 1 might be stripped. This happen to me after i went threw a construction zone and a small stone got caught in the cam gear that came with the cobra exhaust. When the cam moved when i got on the gas it stripped the large gear. i went and found the thread in the tech section and found the wire from the computer and disconnected it and no more fi light.
So... you didn't replace the gear?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ppridgen1 said:
do you have the set valve installed in the pipe and the cables hooked to it?or do you just have the actuator
Yes the set is installed
yes the cables are hooked to it

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wel I tried it without the pully on it and the light went off so that leads me to believe that the gears are stripped
because when I put the pully back on the f1 light came back on. So.... I think that I'm goin to wire open the set butterfly and order a new part. Or maybe I'll remove the set altogether and get the power commander early. Will the PCIII return any bottem end I may have lost?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fencer said:
So... you didn't replace the gear?
no they dont sell just the gear and it was easier to just disconnect the wire. have had no problems with the bike since i did this (8400 miles on bike) If you are going to keep the stock header pipes w/ the exhaust valve functioning properly you will probably need to change the stripped gaer or replace the unit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to everyone that helped out with advice on this. I really appreciate it. I ended up wiring the valve open for the time being. I'll take the set valve out completely this winter. Thanks again to everyone for thier help.
JR I hope you ae feeling better.

Sean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts