M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before when I was off the throttle and removed my hands from the handlebars to see if she went in a straight line, she did. After I changed my exhaust from road burners to bassani pro streets, the bike pulls left bad!

Could this be from the weight reduction on the right side?

Does you bike stay straight or pull to the right or left?

Thanks guys. :doorag:

·
Registered
423 Posts
It is the weight reduction. That stock exhaust weighs a ton, I noticed the same thing putting cobra dragsters.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It is the weight reduction. That stock exhaust weighs a ton, I noticed the same thing putting cobra dragsters.
I've been effing with my steering alignment for a while now. I wonder if this is the problem?
Yeah I think that is the problem. You cant win... I mean I guess I would rather have my bike drop 30lbs and pull to the left then carry an extra 30lbs lol. I think I'm gonna test that theory by attaching a 20lb dumbbell to the rear swing arm on the right side and see if it pulls. I bet it doesnt. For some reason, it kind of bothers me knowing that the bike doesnt go in a straight line by itself...

Also: This would explain why the bike likes to take left hand turns more so than right hand turns... it just feels like it flows better when taking left sweeping turns IMHO. I'm coming from a gsxr so I'm into carving the corners.. and that bike felt soooo fluid! The weight distribution on the 9 isnt that great.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
Mine actually did the opposite, it seems more balanced after swapping the exhausts. I know the 3 or 4 versions I've had on it weigh at least 25 pounds less than stock, and it tracks in a straight line without as much correction.

I really notice it when coming to a stop, you can coast up and the bike almost stands up for a few seconds before needing to put your feet down.

Part of it may be that you're accustomed to compensating for the over weighted right side, and now with the lighter exhaust you need to stop the compensating. I think it's something do subconsciously.

G

·
Mine actually did the opposite, it seems more balanced after swapping the exhausts. I know the 3 or 4 versions I've had on it weigh at least 25 pounds less than stock, and it tracks in a straight line without as much correction.

I really notice it when coming to a stop, you can coast up and the bike almost stands up for a few seconds before needing to put your feet down.

Part of it may be that you're accustomed to compensating for the over weighted right side, and now with the lighter exhaust you need to stop the compensating. I think it's something do subconsciously.
Kinda becomes second nature. Will have to re-learn the bike when I get new pipes!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Weird. I literally have to lean far right for the bike to go straight. Before... I sat straight up and it was fine. Only thing that has changed: exhaust. :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
219 Posts
pipes

This is interesting to hear I've had cobra swepts practically since they came out and mine has never pulled, always gone in a straight line and I've ran it with "no hands" a lot more than I probably should. Now if the crown of the road is steep then it will pull to that side, some thing to consider....

·
Registered
450 Posts
Leaning

Maybe its because the bike was on the side stand when airing up the tires, and the side with no weight inflated more? Try letting air out, and then balance bike while re-inflating tire.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,850 Posts
Maybe its because the bike was on the side stand when airing up the tires, and the side with no weight inflated more? Try letting air out, and then balance bike while re-inflating tire.
Do what? :eek::dontknow:

Not meaning to pick, but with that logic you should inflate the tire while it's rolling so you can fill out that flat spot on the bottom of it. :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah I think that is the problem. You cant win... I mean I guess I would rather have my bike drop 30lbs and pull to the left then carry an extra 30lbs lol. I think I'm gonna test that theory by attaching a 20lb dumbbell to the rear swing arm on the right side and see if it pulls. I bet it doesnt. For some reason, it kind of bothers me knowing that the bike doesnt go in a straight line by itself...

Also: This would explain why the bike likes to take left hand turns more so than right hand turns... it just feels like it flows better when taking left sweeping turns IMHO. I'm coming from a gsxr so I'm into carving the corners.. and that bike felt soooo fluid! The weight distribution on the 9 isnt that great.
yea post back with your findings...I'm gettin Sampsons and to be honest I find it really hard to understand the correlation....i 've overloaded one saddle bag way more than the other and never felt or noticed a difference...the bags are much higher than the pipes soooo??? If it is the pipes for sure then I'd stay with stock as that would irritate the crap outa me :dontknow:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes Luv thats it. ( hope my wife didn't see me type that )

You really got to air them up properly, follow procedure!!

And Zoom,

Your just showing off. That too complicated for the rest of us. The dexterity required for that makes it time consuming when not executed properly if not near impossible.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
my advice is dont let your hands of the bars, why the **** would you want to ride a bike with no hands on the bars wtf!.

try both legs in the air and see what happens:joke:

·
Registered
96 Posts
my advice is dont let your hands of the bars, why the **** would you want to ride a bike with no hands on the bars wtf!.

:a20:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea post back with your findings...I'm gettin Sampsons and to be honest I find it really hard to understand the correlation....i 've overloaded one saddle bag way more than the other and never felt or noticed a difference...the bags are much higher than the pipes soooo??? If it is the pipes for sure then I'd stay with stock as that would irritate the crap outa me :dontknow:
Will do, I'm running the tests today.

Bahahaha. Let me put it to you this way... Why would I take the hands off of my steering wheel in my car? purely for testing purposes.. its the only way to see if the vehicle goes straight or pulls either right or left. Why is that important? Well, for one, if the vehicle pulls when you lift your hands off of the wheel, the alignment is off. Why is that important? CONTACT PATCH... a huge issue when considering performance of a vehicle. A bike is a whole other issue...as contact patch is everything (2 wheels instead of 4, you do the math). Why would I want to have to constantly push down on the right grip of the handlebar to get my bike to go in a straight line??? Clearly, that isn't safe as I shouldn't have to do any work to get the bike to go straight... I should only have to do work in the corners.

Now I think its safe to say my alignment ISNT off... just the weight distribution is, or that is my thoughts until I conduct further testing. (yes, my hands will be off the handle bar for all of 3 seconds)... look ma, no hands! :D

Maybe I should try both legs in the air... for ****s and giggles... :duck:

Safety first! :cop:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Conducted Testing

Alright so I attached a 25lb dumbbell to the rear swing arm via zip ties and rope to imitate the weight of my old exhaust (the hard krome road burner weighs 45lbs!! where as my new exhaust is a little less than half of that.)

Almost immediately, I could tell the bike didn't like the new weight. at 10 mph in my neighborhood, when before I could easily guide the bike in a straight line with no hands on the bar, the bike pulled hard right! hard right... like I had to immediately grab the bar or I would have dumped it (impressive...just 25lbs). Assuming the crown of the roads had nothing to do with it, I stayed on the right side of street. After that escapade, I decided to drive on the wrong side of the road (in my neighborhood, so no cars at this time of day) (sue me :cop:) to test to see if the bike would pull left... and it did!

I have come to this conclusion:

The bike pulls to the right or left due to the crowning of the roads. Before with my old heavy exhaust, I probably didnt notice this because I tend to ride on the left side of the street (two lane highway). With the weight of the exhaust on the right side of the bike, I believe the crown of the left side of the road and the weight of the right side of the bike due to the exhaust cancelled eachother out, and the bike went straight. Now, with my new exhaust (Bassani Pro Streets), the weight isnt enough to cancel out the natural pull of the left side of the crowning on the left lane of the roads!

In essence, I believe the bike has a neutral bias now and is more apt to succumb to the crowning of the roads where as before, the heavy exhaust prevented any left ward pulling.

I will further test this conclusion on a flat, level pavement, and I will post results.

Thanks guys. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
534 Posts
My 2cents...

OK, maybe I am missing something here. Doesn't a motorcycle(and bicycle) travel in a straight line because of the gyroscopic effect ? More gas you give it, the straighter it wants to go??

If you fell off your bike on a straight roadway and had the cruise control on, your bike would continue on a straight path with out you...due to the gyroscopic effect. A motorcycle, due to its rotating wheels, are really a motorized gyroscope....stabilizing the bike.

That is what makes a motorcycle go straight. By most of the arguments I am seeing about this, if you had 1 saddlebag with more weight in it, your bike would pull one way or the other....which it won't.

My guess, only an opinion, is that your bike is pulling for some reason other than the missing weight of the old exhaust.

Im sure someone will correct me in a moment....just can't buy the weight argument.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Right pocket.

Just make sure your change and phone are in your right pocket and your good to go.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts