M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've rotated the clamp tightened and re tightened after a warm up run and have ridden 200 miles since doing so.Well I'm within 2 or 3 burn outs of installing the new 260 Metz. Sooo while I tooled up to my 7-11 to pick up a pack and know that my new carbon fiber looking tank bra will protect my paint from having a six pack set on it I stopped at my neighbors. he was standing next to a 2000 Harley 1200 really nice looking chromed out looking good.We chat blah blah I'm ready to leave and all these 5 or 6 kids ride up on their bikes (10 yr olds) so I say hay guys how bout a burn out enthusiastic responce later I do a hit the rev limiter 2or 3 times 1st gear burn out go to the store and notice coolent once again plus a little oil from a recent oil change slight over fill I guess. I will see if its still coming from the same place as before. Now my question is do you think the high revs caused it to leak again now? JR or anybody has this happened to you during any of your Burns? :dontknow: :evil: Oh ya

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
That sounds very familiar to me...short warm up ...everything fine and then a hard burst will start a small leak..seems OK if WELL warmed up first, but I think until the coolant gets hot and all it's circuit get evenly hot, the seals aren't too great. Might be something to do with the thermosat closing and the pressure building too high until the thermosat reopens and it can flow with less resistance and pressure...maybe a thermostat with a lower temp opening may help.
Usually only annoying little snail trails but enough to raise the ire.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
rasputin said:
That sounds very familiar to me...short warm up ...everything fine and then a hard burst will start a small leak..seems OK if WELL warmed up first, but I think until the coolant gets hot and all it's circuit get evenly hot, the seals aren't too great. Might be something to do with the thermosat closing and the pressure building too high until the thermosat reopens and it can flow with less resistance and pressure...maybe a thermostat with a lower temp opening may help.
Usually only annoying little snail trails but enough to raise the ire.
What Ras said. I've noticed the same thing.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
my clamps were all tight except the only one I can't even check behind the t-stat but I suppose it's alright cause it don't leak. my clamps all have room to spare to tighten up, no bottoming out here. there is a thread about someone whose 109 has a cracked t-stat housing and that would put it in the same general area as the other leaks. so far 5.5k and no leaks or oil overfills, my oil changes of course. :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
This sounds all too familiar to me. If you are still experiencing a leak after tightning/replacing hose clamps, consider this. I had to have rear jug replaced because there was an imperfection in the bottom edge of the jug. Under normal riding conditions it wasnt an issue and under normal pressure test levels it would not show up. When the pressure test levels were tripled, out came the coolant in the same spot you have described. Front, bottom edge of the rear cyl. right in the bottom of the V. 3K in parts and 91 shop hours later I am leak free. Local dealer even had Suki service rep fly in to look at it because they could not find the leak. He was the one to increase the test pressure and found the problem. Food for thought......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts