M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a note to try to save others the pain of my easily made mistake.

When you install a new windshield leave room between it and the cowl for deflection that will result at highway speeds. Like a dummy I left only a half inch or so on a new rifle touring screen (love the screen) but after the first 3 mile check-out ride I had two small scratches on the cowl where the wind pushed the shield back against the cowl. I just didn't anticipate that much deflection -- my bad.

Hope others do not repeat my mistake. (Sorry no pic.)

G

·
I don't have a shield on my bike, but just a thought: If you cannot get the distance between the shield and the cowl that you need could you add the little clear round platic dots that they put under electronic items to prevent them from sliding. They are self stick and about the size of a pencil eraser. I have a bug screen on my Ford Explorer and they have them on the back of it so that at speed if it blows back it does not hit the paint. I would think 4 of them may do the trick. Just a thought.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I Have a Rifle shield also and noticed a lot of squeaking from the shield, wondered if anyone else noticed the same. I would like to brace the bottom of the shield but not sure how to do it and still look good. Thinking of some stainless hose clamps on the forks and some parts from an old shield, also been looking in catalogs at lower fork shield brackets.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I have a Rifle Solo shield on my 109 and have no problems at all. Test run to 130 solid as a rock :bigthumbsup: I have less than 1/2 inch clearence to the headlight. Its been on 8 days ride my 109 to work 9 miles still NO problems

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have my Rifle Windshield arriving mid next week. Does anyone know where the little clear round platic dots can be purchased?

·
Registered
600 Posts
HelmetTown said:
I have my Rifle Windshield arriving mid next week. Does anyone know where the little clear round plastic dots can be purchased?
Pep Boys, Autozone, Advanced, etc. should have them in the same aisle as the 3M tape, Velcro and other such stuff. I've seen them in a Super Target, too, in the Home Improvement section.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Also have the "rifle" shield and left about a half an inch space and no problems...have done ninety....ninety five with it on and that baby is not goin no where, best money spent on this bike so far....cannot believe the difference.....like they say, once you put it on you'll never take it off. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Crude said:
I Have a Rifle shield also and noticed a lot of squeaking from the shield, wondered if anyone else noticed the same. I would like to brace the bottom of the shield but not sure how to do it and still look good. Thinking of some stainless hose clamps on the forks and some parts from an old shield, also been looking in catalogs at lower fork shield brackets.
I was getting the squeaking also on my rifle. I finally figured it out...in the instructions when they tell you they want 11.5" between the 2 mounting arms, it puts them up against the windshield because of the curve. I bet if you go look at your mounting arms they are rubbing against your winshield on the outer edges.

As far as the scratches go I haven't had any yet but I did notice this last weekend after traveling to Biktoberfest and back that my windshield had very slowly moved down closer to the cowl. I've had mine on for about 2 months and it had never done that before. So I readjusted it and tightened the screws again...you guys might want to keep an eye on it over time.

Ric

·
Registered
74 Posts
You got instructions with yours i did not get anything with them. But my uprights are all the way out and touching the shield and that must be where the squeaking is coming from, never would of figured that one out i just thought it was coming from the flexing because if you watch going down the road the bottom really vibrates. I also only have about a half inch clearance and it's never touched yet. Really appreciate the info the squeaking was driving me nuts.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Crude said:
You got instructions with yours i did not get anything with them. But my uprights are all the way out and touching the shield and that must be where the squeaking is coming from, never would of figured that one out i just thought it was coming from the flexing because if you watch going down the road the bottom really vibrates. I also only have about a half inch clearance and it's never touched yet. Really appreciate the info the squeaking was driving me nuts.
No prob...let me know if that cures it.

Ric

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An update and encoragement to those thinking about the rifle screen --

First, thanks to medic for her earlier posts; if I'd have been more thorough with watching the forum I'd not have had a problem -- thanks.

The rifle screen mounting is very adaptable. My first position left the bracket risers (I'll call them) nearly vertical and on the screen at the highest point possible -- meaning the risers and the screen formed a sort of an A shape. The lower edges are the least supported in that position and thus the flex and the scratches I encountered.

My fix was to rotate the risers down to a bit above horizontal, thus pushing the screen an inch or so towards the front of the bike, while maintaining the angle equal to the fork angle. This requires the screen end of the riser to be moved to about the middle of the screen. I also raised the screen to about an inch from the cowl and have experienced no more problems. The inch clearance does not noticeably increase air behind the screen. For me this position allows me to see over it easily or slouch a little and look through it or hid behind it. In either position the air is shifted above my head to the point that I didn't even realize I left my visor up during the first couple tet rides.

Bottom line -- the shield looks great and does a nice job -- highly recommended.

[PS I know this site is worthless without pictures, but photography is not my forte.]

·
Registered
58 Posts
I installed mine yesterday, two things that might help others. The directions are at the bottom of the box UNDER the cardboard, be sure to take it all out. Second, the little white plastic half circle pieces go back on the bar. I had thought they were just there to hold the brackets in transport. Without them you can't tighten the bolts enough to keep the windshield from moving.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I ordered my hellcat from DLP quite awhile back and had it sent over to Germany. No problems installing it, no problems with scratches, no funny noises to make along story short .................... its great :bigthumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts