M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a dead horse, and I read a lot of the "puke" problems.

I got Matt's '07, and he has a nice, but small catch can with breather holes on it.

It puked, so I emptied the can and cleaned it all up.

Next ride, only 60 miles or so, oil puke all over the damn place. I got some at the catch can, some at the 90 degree elbow of the catch can, and some further up on top the transmission.

Oil level came maxed out, so probably too much in there. Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm still feeling this out. This sound familiar or do I have a leak somewhere?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I guess that I am fortunate enough to say that I have never had this issue, however, I have read plenty about a small number of members going thru this problem and the answer most commonly given is that the oil level might not be where it needs to be. If you say that your "dip stick" shows you oil level at the max, then you must have too much oil in there. It is preferred that the level be kept at the half-way point:dontknow:. Also, are you following the recommended method by which to check your oil level? Per the owner's manual you should let your bike run for 15 minutes, shut it off and let rest for 3 minutes and then check the level or something to that effect.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
tHESE DANG 9'S , YOU HAVE TO HAVE CONDITIONS just RIGHT TO CHECK OIL, kINDA SILLY, BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS. i DIDN'T WARM MY UP ENOUGH LAST TIME i CHECKED AND THOUGHT IT NEEDED OIL, WELL oops cap lock,,,,,,,it didnt I now have my first puking, LOL Just checked now after a nice ride and sure enough, I am about 1/4" over the top full mark. Testy beast they are.......so I guess the best time to check is after a nice ride..........

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
There have been a lot of talk about this , i even know a few people that have Been Thur this time and again , I my self have never had any Puking
except that one weekend some high school buddies Introduced me to Mad Dog 20\20 ,nasty stuff ,but it did the Trick ,NEVER AGIAN !:D
all engines have to Recycle the Blow-by gas , from the Crank case to the Intake system , The oil gets into the Breathers via the Central air box Which is Feed by the Oil vapor separator
which leads me too believe that only Three reasons for this problem
1 Too much Oil
2 Excessive Blow by
3 inoperative Oil\vapor separator

Here is a Good explanation how to reroute the Breather hose to diagnose

thanks CBRdude

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137129

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
For a catch can to work, it needs to be higher than the outlet from the engine, with preferably the hose running up to it. That way any oil that gets into the hose can run back down. If the hose run down at any point so it is lower than the catch can, it doesn't solve anything.

I've never had any puking either, but I'm thinking about doing a catch can just in case. I run my oil level from the midpoint down to the lower level, never higher than midpoint though. If it gets that high I take some out.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
I know this is a dead horse, and I read a lot of the "puke" problems.

I got Matt's '07, and he has a nice, but small catch can with breather holes on it.

It puked, so I emptied the can and cleaned it all up.

Next ride, only 60 miles or so, oil puke all over the damn place. I got some at the catch can, some at the 90 degree elbow of the catch can, and some further up on top the transmission.

Oil level came maxed out, so probably too much in there. Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm still feeling this out. This sound familiar or do I have a leak somewhere?
That is your problem. Get the level right and clean all of the oil up, even in the air boxes also. I hope that you are running K&N's.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
That is your problem. Get the level right and clean all of the oil up, even in the air boxes also. I hope that you are running K&N's.
It's got a catch can on it, so nothing should get to the air boxes. I agree it's still an overfilling problem, provided the catch can is mounted correctly.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Happened to me too....

My old bike puked only once after an oil change but since the dealer does ALL of my preventive maintenance they fixed it. Chris (Service Tech) said that he overfilled it and it never happened again. My bike was totalled on Nov 2nd with 18,500 miles on it. :mad:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm sure someone knows the link, or just do a search for BigPapa's oil change. The puking has been an issue for a lot of people, and it seems it is as much of a problem for those putting in the "recommended" amount of oil as it is for those that fill the crankcase to the full mark on the dipstick. Just make sure you get the oil cleaned out of your left side airbox as well as wiping the oil out of the tube which runs from behind your filter to the airbox under the tank. Follow BP's procedure for the oil change/check, as I did, and you shouldn't have any issues with this in the future. I haven't, and I've done 3 oil changes this way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.

Not sure this catch can is mounted correctly. I'll put a pic up, but it's a rubber hose that makes a 90 degree angle to a small catch can, which is the dead end of the hose.

The pics I saw were the catch can had to be in serial with the hose, not the end of the line.

I seem to be getting puking at the 90 degree plastic arm, which I guess is restricting the pressure too much.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Check your oil level cold on the kick stand. Probably the most accurate reading for this bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts