M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A word of caution, don't under any circumstances take the scenic route down the mountain at Carlsbad Caverns, Carlsbad NM.

I had just finished touring some of the caverns and was on my way back to town when I saw the sign that said Scenic route.

Hey thats for me, its got my name all over it. :hot: It's a dirt road but looked good, I've ridden trail bikes, I can handle that. It should be safe for a bigger bike. :bigthumbsup:

Well, it's not that good. Take a dirt bike, a trail bike a truck or a car if you dare but don't take a 740 lb bike down that road. :eek:

The road is 9.5 miles all one way and about 10' - 15' wide. Its 99% down hill and not all that steep but is loose gravel and a winding road. :evil:

Its slow going for fear of losing traction especially on the steeper downhill turns which are the ones where you have more loose gravel.

I had to stop the bike, put in neutral and use the front brake to slooooowly move down the turn.

Coasting down was not an option, It's bike down for sure. It was steep enough and tracktionless enough that the bike would slide on the gravel no matter how slow you went, couple that with a sharp turn and all I could think was I hope I dont have to pick this bike up. :yikes:

I was thinking what if I get to the end of the trail and it says turn around and go back now, end of scenic route.

Thats a 9.5 mile walk, no phone service, bad knees and I know the bike will not have enough traction to climb back out. It took me somewhere between 1 1/5 to 2 hours to go those 9.5 miles.

I have never been so happy or relieved to see pavement when I finally got to the end. I don't know what possessed me to take that road. It couldn't be that bad. Problem was I had never been down a winding downhill dirt road and a heavy cruiser.

You live, you learn and hopefully have a bike and good health to ride tomorrow. This was not a perilous situation but it sure would have been embarrassing. :doh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Carlsbad Caverns Trip

Next time anyone comes to Carlsbad just give me a shout. I will take you on a ride that you will enjoy. All paved roads. May even ride up in the mountains. Only a few hours away.

Pete

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how was the scenery? is it well worth the trip?
LOL
If you mean the paved roads up to the caverns, yes its very nice.

While on the 9.5 dirt road I didn't see much "scenery" till I got to the end. :D

The scenery along the mountain range and the roads to the caverns behind Whites city are very nice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next time anyone comes to Carlsbad just give me a shout. I will take you on a ride that you will enjoy. All paved roads. May even ride up in the mountains. Only a few hours away.

Pete
Roctildrop,

A group of us will be riding through the area this coming Sat on our way to ride 191 in Arizona. Are the roads your thinking of to the west of Carlsbad? Not sure of our route just yet but I'm sure we will have to go thru NM to get to Arizona, maybe we could have a look at your backyard on the way to 191. Hey wait a minute. We are leaving Midland late in the afternoon, about 6:00 and riding on thru the nite to Demming for our over nite stay at the Best Western. Won't get to do much site seeing at nite. On the way back we are take a more northerly route back thru Soccoro and Roswell I think. I know there aint much to see out here unless you just get tired of all the mountains and have a yearn for long stretches of flat land then come thru Midland. I ride with a church group called the Stonegators, Stonegate Church in Midland.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I was on a road like that in a RV. It also had a scenic sign. I would say about 5-6 miles long. It led me to a farm which had what looked like a hotel. But it was there lodging for all of the Mexican help that they had hired. I had to trun around and go back the way I came. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was on a road like that in a RV. It also had a scenic sign. I would say about 5-6 miles long. It led me to a farm which had what looked like a hotel. But it was there lodging for all of the Mexican help that they had hired. I had to trun around and go back the way I came. I feel your pain.
Man that could have been tough. An RV is just a little on the heavier side. On the other hand you would have had plenty of hands to help get you out. :joke:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I ride with a local mcrc. Only 2 9s in the group. Lately just me.

We usually take rather scenic routes to good buffets for lunch. Last month we had a ride to a rather good restaurant. The person who planned the ride had even run the exact route before (so he says). During this ride, we went down dried creek beds, pig paths and what appeared to be someone's driveway. There were a few times we were on these tar & gravel roads. Boy are those fun.

This is a group of 98% cruisers. Not the type of bikes you expect to take down creek beds & pig paths. Found out just how sure footed my beast is.

Oh, and when the GPS says something's a road, it's not always right.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
All I can say is: What the heck are you thinking when you use the front brake on gravel in a turn? Rear brake always the primary on that loose stuff the front will dump you on your keester :eek: :edit: I have to drive up and down my folks driveway 1/4 mile (only) but I hate it anyway!!

Don

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I can say is: What the heck are you thinking when you use the front brake on gravel in a turn? Rear brake always the primary on that loose stuff the front will dump you on your keester :eek: :edit: I have to drive up and down my folks driveway 1/4 mile (only) but I hate it anyway!!

Don
Don,

By the time I got to the first steeper downhill turn I had already inhaled too much road dirt mixed with all that grows out there like peyote and mescal and such ................. ................... .... ............ sorry I spaced there for a sec. :joke:

No, your right, rear brake unless the road is bad enough you have to use both feet planted firmly on the ground as you walk/ride the bike down the road. Didn't have the luxury of coasting with my feet on the pegs, I would have gone down for sure. :eek: :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

We usually take rather scenic routes to good buffets for lunch. Last month we had a ride to a rather good restaurant. The person who planned the ride had even run the exact route before (so he says). During this ride, we went down dried creek beds, pig paths and what appeared to be someone's driveway. There were a few times we were on these tar & gravel roads. Boy are those fun.

This is a group of 98% cruisers. Not the type of bikes you expect to take down creek beds & pig paths. Found out just how sure footed my beast is.

Rockey,

I want to ride with you. Never met a plate I didn't like. We do alot of short 40 - 60 mile rides where we end up at a restaurant or watering hole ( mission is to spread the word ). I don't think I have enough experience on pig paths or dried creek beds. You guys are insane, call me up ...555-1212. :doorag: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Rockey,

Whats a MCRC? Forgot to ask.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I went to the caverns as a kid when I lived in Odessa. Can you still get that chicken in a box at the bottom.....I do remember it was 57 degrees down in the caverns while it was over 100 degrees outside.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A word of caution, don't under any circumstances take the scenic route down the mountain at Carlsbad Caverns, Carlsbad NM. :doh:
I know that road my girlfriend & went down it in my dually :eek: it started out ok but when you hit the bottom and thru all the 1mph curves thoses trees were rubbing my fenders anyone who seen my truck knows im anal about how it looks..i was about in tears.....lol :'( I was so glad to hit the black top

BTW Spillman im in Odessa we need to go ride sometime!

·
Registered
300 Posts
i used to live in TorC and miss the decent weather. so dak has been very wet this year, sux big time. maybe i will hafta go back there for a week or so and do some nice riding

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to the caverns as a kid when I lived in Odessa. Can you still get that chicken in a box at the bottom.....I do remember it was 57 degrees down in the caverns while it was over 100 degrees outside.
They have a new deli and gift shop upstairs before u go in. I had a peperoni and swiss panini. Don't think thy had that when I was there first time. It's been about that long since I was there too.

I got to the bottom ( 750 ' ) and that's the first thing that came to my mind, "someone turn down that air conditioner, it's freezing in here."

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know that road my girlfriend & went down it in my dually :eek: it started out ok but when you hit the bottom and thru all the 1mph curves thoses trees were rubbing my fenders anyone who seen my truck knows im anal about how it looks..i was about in tears.....lol :'( I was so glad to hit the black top

BTW Spillman im in Odessa we need to go ride sometime!
Yep,

It's a tricky road and narrow.

Yeah, lets ride sometime. You set it up. I got a couple of buddies that ride at a drop of a hat and a few more that just need a few days notice for day rides and longer.

Lets get together for a ride and eats, bring your buddies or we will go to odessa.
We ( 109ers) will be out numbered but their a great bunch of guys, all Harleys sep for me and a couple others.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep,

It's a tricky road and narrow.

Yeah, lets ride sometime. You set it up. I got a couple of buddies that ride at a drop of a hat and a few more that just need a few days notice for day rides and longer.

Lets get together for a ride and eats, bring your buddies or we will go to odessa.
We ( 109ers) will be out numbered but their a great bunch of guys, all Harleys sep for me and a couple others.
Cole99,

PM sent.

:super:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts