M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know odd question. I was just wondering. I just bought a FZ1 not to long ago and a lot of these guys use car filters on their bikes.

Most modern Japanese motorcycles use the same oil filter as the Mazda V-6. For the best protection in your bike, use Mobil-1 M1-108 / M1-110 oil filters, $12 at AutoZone; or Purolator Pure One PL14612 / PL14610 filters, about $6 at Pep Boys.

Does anyone here use a car filter?

G

·
I know odd question. I was just wondering. I just bought a FZ1 not to long ago and a lot of these guys use car filters on their bikes.

Most modern Japanese motorcycles use the same oil filter as the Mazda V-6. For the best protection in your bike, use Mobil-1 M1-108 / M1-110 oil filters, $12 at AutoZone; or Purolator Pure One PL14612 / PL14610 filters, about $6 at Pep Boys.

You know I heard something like this somewhere. Too chicken sh it to try though. I buy the K&N for the nice little nut on the end for tightening/loosening.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I've been doing some research on oil filters and the ones currently made for the 9 aren't very good ones. It would be nice if we could find a Mobil 1 or PureOne that would work, but you'd have to have a way to crossreference 1) the correct thread size, and more importantly 2) one that has the correct amount of spring pressure. If we had a way to get that info, we'd probably find out there are several automotive filters that would work for the 9.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Zook dealer here said auto ones don't have a bypass valve in case the filter plugs up. Said it will waste the bike engines,. Said that about bike filters made by auto makers also LOL..........

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the link I posted. There is a chart at the bottom. The 9 is not on there, but if we could cross reference what the K&N filter is and what other suzukis it fits we should find it on the chart.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Zook dealer here said auto ones don't have a bypass valve in case the filter plugs up. Said it will waste the bike engines,. Said that about bike filters made by auto makers also LOL..........
He has it bassackwards. Car filters DO have a bypass valve. That's the spring pressure I was referring to in my previous post. I'd be willing to bet motorcycle filters are the ones that don't have the bypass valves, IF one of the two types don't have valves. If that's the case, all we have to match up are the threads. If both types have valves, then we're back to also having to find out the pressure ratings...

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
grampi;1380824 He has it bassackwards. Car filters DO have a bypass valve. That's the spring pressure I was referring to in my previous post. I'd be willing to bet motorcycle filters are the ones that don't have the bypass valves said:
He has it bassackwards

Why doesn't that surprise me??

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Okay, the info contained in the link tell us all we need to know. The 9 takes a filter that screws onto 20 X 1 mm threads, with a bypass valve pressure of 11 PSI. In order to use any of the other filters on the 9 we would have to install the adapter (also referenced in the link). The adapter allows you to install a filter that uses 20 X 1.5 mm threads. This would allow you to use the PL14610 or ST7317 he mentions, except the bypass valve for these filters has the incorrect pressure for the 9. They're both rated at 14 PSI. However, PL14459, M1-104, and ST3593a have a bypass valve pressure of 10-18 PSI, which tells me they can be used on the 9 with the adapter. All 3 of these filters are in the recommended group.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts

WIX 51359. Exact replacement.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Here's a list of oil filters that will work with the SV (and just about any late model Suzuki bike actually - if it'll work for a GSX-R, it'll work for an SV):

Suzuki: 16510-03G00-X07
K&N: KN138
FRAM: PH6018
Amsoil: SMF 109
Champion: PH7016
Emgo: 10-55662 or 10-55660
Hi-Flo: HF138
J.C.Whitney: ZX063166P
NAPA: 1359
WIX: 51359
Per-Form: J-509
ProPart: 01-0029
Purolator: ML16818
STP: SMO-18
VESRAH: VSF-3009

Specs on the Suzuki Oil Filter:

• 20 x 1 mm threads
• 11 psi by-pass valve
• Anti-drain back valve

Pick whichever filter is available at a low cost to you. They all do the job just fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
just an FYI the " last time " I checked into this stuff the NAPA gold series was rated at the top and fram at the bottom..If the Amsoil filter is half as good as the oil it could be a contender...:dontknow: Hi flow are the small element style I use in my racebike and make them for almost every brand but not sure about the spin on's...

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Here's a list of oil filters that will work with the SV (and just about any late model Suzuki bike actually - if it'll work for a GSX-R, it'll work for an SV):

Suzuki: 16510-03G00-X07
K&N: KN138
FRAM: PH6018
Amsoil: SMF 109
Champion: PH7016
Emgo: 10-55662 or 10-55660
Hi-Flo: HF138
J.C.Whitney: ZX063166P
NAPA: 1359
WIX: 51359
Per-Form: J-509
ProPart: 01-0029
Purolator: ML16818
STP: SMO-18
VESRAH: VSF-3009

Specs on the Suzuki Oil Filter:

• 20 x 1 mm threads
• 11 psi by-pass valve
• Anti-drain back valve

Pick whichever filter is available at a low cost to you. They all do the job just fine.
wow thanks for the list, I get so tired trying with those computer things they gave by the filters, Can never find anything...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
I've used the NAPA 1359 filter for my last few changes. I used Amsoil filters for the first couple changes. If you look at the listing for the M109, it uses the same filter as a lot of Suzuki's use. My wife's S50 uses the same filter. Since her filter is exposed I splurge a little and get the chrome K&N filter for it, but I use the NAPA filters on mine. Cheaper and easy to get.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
just an FYI the " last time " I checked into this stuff the NAPA gold series was rated at the top and fram at the bottom..If the Amsoil filter is half as good as the oil it could be a contender...:dontknow: Hi flow are the small element style I use in my racebike and make them for almost every brand but not sure about the spin on's...
NAPA is made by WIX. That's why they're so good.

The 51359 fits about every suzuki that uses a spin on filter and some arctic cat stuff.

If you want the Amsoil microfiber filter, it's EaOM109 or add a C to that for chrome.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Looking at the link, the WIX 51359 is on the not recommended list. In order to use one of the recommended filters (PureOne, Mobil 1, or Super Tech) you'll have to use the filter adapter. I've also been using filters that aren't on the receommend list with no problems, but I'd rather use one of the good ones. Using a crappy filter with the best high dollar oil doesn't make much sense to me....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Seems to me this is all unneeded talk. The stock filter as mentioned has a 11 psi bypass valve...that problem solved...and KN or anyother filter for that matter when clogged will bypass oil at the recommended pressure. I will only use a recommended motorcycle filter and a top quality oil and change it religously as all my vehicles. I will never have to worry about the damn bypass or a clogged filter because if I am that negligent in servicing my bike then I am the one with the issue not the filter.....:eek: Peace and Happy Thanksgiving :doorag:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Seems to me this is all unneeded talk. The stock filter as mentioned has a 11 psi bypass valve...that problem solved...and KN or anyother filter for that matter when clogged will bypass oil at the recommended pressure. I will only use a recommended motorcycle filter and a top quality oil and change it religously as all my vehicles. I will never have to worry about the damn bypass or a clogged filter because if I am that negligent in servicing my bike then I am the one with the issue not the filter.....:eek: Peace and Happy Thanksgiving :doorag:
Let me ask you this; what's the point of having a filter if it isn't filtering, or it's doing a very poor job of it? I doubt anyone would neglect their oil long enough to trigger the bypass valve, but how much sense does it make to spend the kind of money we have to spend on motorcycle oil (all of it's expensive) and then filter it with a garbage filter? I would like to use a filter that's at least the same level of quality as my oil (I use Amsoil and I know their filter for the 9 isn't anywhere near as good as their oil).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts